: Can I network Time Machine with my Dlink DI 624?

Canadian-ay
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:03 PM
Hi:

Maybe the answer to this question at first glance may be an obvious NO. I have a USB Firewire drive enclosure made to hold an IDE drive. I would choose a 160 gig. Now that configuration will work for 1 computer, my Macbook with 10.5.2. My wife has an iBook 1.3 gig and Leopard. On a non network config could she just disconnect the drive enclosure from me and use time machine as well or is it restricted to just 1 user?? Because there may be another computer G4 if she switches to Leopard, could both daughter & wife share my 160 gig enclosure? Because sharing in this manner has its disadvantages such as plugging and unplugging and moving it to many places and finding room for it.

Now you can see the advantages of networking Time Machine. We have a DLINK DI 24 with many computers networking wirelessly. We have a Dlink DP G-321 Print server as well as a Dlink DWL-2100AP to cover the second floor and provide the same signal to computers upstairs as the DI 624 provides on the main floor. Sorry for such detail. Now I know that the Airport extreme would fit perfectly because it has a USB port which neither the DI 624 or it repeater the DWL-2100AP but the wireless DP G-321 Print server does. It has 3 ports 2 USB and a parallel port: one of the former being used by my laser printer so I have 1 USB port port. Would it work? If not would an Airport Extreme (with USB port) replace my DI624? Would the print server and DWL-2100AP fit perfectly with an Airport Extreme? The DWL-2100 AP is a hard wired wireless extension of the DI624 (sorry if I have the terminology wrong)

Thanks

Ted

Eric0
Apr 15th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I would recommend getting a Time Capsule. It works out to the price of an (Airport Extreme + 500 GB drive).

Multiple people can connect to it and it gives the added bonus of N connectivity. You would also be able to connect your other hard drive to it just like you would to an airport extreme.

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question.

wslctrc
Apr 15th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I would recommend getting a Time Capsule. It works out to the price of an (Airport Extreme + 500 GB drive).

Multiple people can connect to it and it gives the added bonus of N connectivity. You would also be able to connect your other hard drive to it just like you would to an airport extreme.

Sorry if that doesn't answer your question.

I agree fully, we just bought a 500gb time capsule , took just minutes to set up and is the wireless base for our 3 laptops (imacs are still hardwired for speed) and the time machine backup for our 3 intel base macs. We had 3 separate backup drives and were wondering why after going to macs from pc ( just last Oct.) we still had wires. Will never go back to pc , wires ,and external drives.

Andrew Pratt
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Get the time capsule. It'll replace your print server and 624 router...it'll also likely replace the repeater as N is much stronger then b/g....plus it'll work without any hassle.

Eric0
Apr 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Keep in mind that you won't get N connectivity if you have a b or g device connected.

I ran into this problem connecting a MacBook air and an older MBP to the TC. Helps if you bridge the network (easy to do) and then you have a dedicated N and b/g signal.

Canadian-ay
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thankyou
Within hours of asking the questions, I have all these answers. Much better than Apple's own discussion site. All of this from a site with a fraction of Apple's traffic, and yet you came through. All of you should be commended. Your answers are great and to the point. I have some questions if you don't mind.
1) Is the time capsule a combined router and USB 500 gig drive enclosure?
2) I heard that time capsule could only be networked with Leopard server. Is that right or were they referring to Time Machine?
3) Airport in this case would be Airport extreme whether it's bundled with the 500 gig or not?
4) I understand that Airport extreme has a built in print server?
5) would the repeater work with airport instead of Dlink? Signals are never the same strength on another floor from my experience which is why one has a repeater?
6) If one has a time machine why would one add anther drive enclosure?

Hope they're good questions and their answers will help a lot of people who are in situations like me.

Ted

Eric0
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:23 PM
1) The Time Capsule is a router with a hard drive built in. It looks almost identical to the airport extreme.

2) The Time Capsule is automatically networked at least on a basic level. All computers within wireless range can connect to it and back up using the Time Machine software. Time Machine is only available with Leopard. However, you can use the Time Capsule as a networked hard drive so you'll just have to drag and drop files and arrange them manually like you would with any other drive.

3) Your correct.

4) Not sure
5) Not sure

6) You can add another drive enclosure to the time capsule if you need/want additional storage. For instance, you could backup all your computers to the Time Capsule's drive. Then plug in an external USB drive to store videos or pictures. Adding another drive is by no means a requirement but since you have a 160GB drive you might as well use it.

wslctrc
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:49 PM
4)
The Apple Store (Canada) - AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MjczOTY&fnode=home&nplm=MB053LL/A)

The Apple Store (Canada) - Time Capsule - 500 GB (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/canadastore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTM0NzM&fnode=standard/home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/airport_wireless&nplm=MB276AM/A)

5) we get a strong signal on the second floor with the Time Capsule in the basement without a repeater.

Andrew Pratt
Apr 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
4) yes the Airport Extreme, Time Capsule and Airport Express all have print servers built into them.

5) I believe you can as it shouldn't really be different then what you're doing now though I haven't any personal experience extending my network as I find N gives me enough coverage its not an issue (inside or outside the house)

Canadian-ay
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Hi:
Seems silly to add a print server to the Airport Extreme but I hhave a good reason.While the Airport Extreme has a USB print server which means that you connect your printer to it and voila everyone has access to it. The Dlink goes 1 further step because you can place your printer anywher in the home because it does not have to be attached to the router as it would have to be if the router was an Airport Extreme. It also has 3 ports 2 USB and a parallel port. So now you see why someone would attach a FOREIGN router to an Apple system providing that it would work.
I'm glad to see that I could network through an Airport extreme a USB drive enclosure with capacity like a 160 gig. It's not pretty makes a lot of noise and you may want to switch it off at some point to save the $. The enclosure for $35 and 500 gig WD for $105 at Canada Computers Plus $199 for an airport extreme gigabyte. Or $329 for a 500 gig Time Capsule: a beautiful silent enclosure that is a hard disk and a router. Which would you prefer noise and space robbing or silence and so tiny? Choice seems obvious doesn't it? I just did the math and was shocked because the non Apple option should always be cheaper?

Ted
PS I hope this exercise is useful to far more people than us

Andrew Pratt
Apr 15th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Time Capsule is also fully supported...Time Machine back ups to the AirPort Extreme are not. Also if you do a search back a few days (https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/63494-airport-base-station-vs-time-capsule-2.html#post665732) you'll see my thread comparing the times to push a 1 gig file across the network to the internal drive or a USB drive over the network...quite surprising results which bode strongly in favour of the Time Capsule.

Canadian-ay
Apr 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Wow:
I've learned a lot from all of you and wish to thank youall for your help. Because you've answered all my Questions then we may as well conside this discussion as resolved as the Apple site puts it but that of course does not close it to new ideas

Ted

arminia
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Get the time capsule. It'll replace your print server and 624 router...it'll also likely replace the repeater as N is much stronger then b/g....plus it'll work without any hassle.

My brother recently bought a time capsule and had a lot of hassle. The only way he could connect to the internet was to plug the TC into his dlink router after a suggestion by Apple support. He has MTS tv, phone and high speed so he has that big modem but I would have thought the TC is all he would need. I'm thinking of buying a MacBookPro and TC so do I need to buy another router?

Eric0
Apr 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM
No need for another router. I use a MacBook Pro and a MacBook Air on it without issue.

Not sure why your brother had problems. There are many potential issues with networking, especially with all the extras he had hooked up.

Andrew Pratt
Apr 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
The router that MTS uses in its TV doesn't play nice with the Airport Express either so I'm not surprised to hear he has issues with the TC. I dropped MTS since I wasn't happy with their highly compressed image but I have several friends apple using that are MTS TV users so I'll check with them to see which router's they have.

You didn't say though if you are also using MTS TV?

..........?
Apr 18th, 2008, 03:32 AM
The only official choice to use a network drive for time machine is the time capsule. All other method is not supported by Apple. The hinted that if you use airport extreme with a network drive. The next firmware upgrade might interfere with it since it is not a function apple intended or promote.

arminia
Apr 18th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks for your answers. I don't have MTS tv. I still have a Mini planning to upgrade to a MacbookPro and a TC soon. Just wondering if I might have the same problem since I do have MTS high speed. Apple support had a hard time with his problem. The 2nd or 3rd person finally helped him.

Andrew Pratt
Apr 18th, 2008, 10:01 AM
The regular MTS DSL modem works fine with the TC (its what I'm using) its just the IPTV modem that doesn't play nice with some routers incl Apples.

arminia
Apr 18th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Ok. Thanks.