: Time Machine restore

Guitar King
Apr 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
quick question.

My windows partition is too big, and I would like to regain this space by reformatting the whole HDD (mac and PC).

My question is, when I re add all my music with time machine, will my purchased music go back into the purchased folder? This is important because if I ever want to "complete the album" it would need to be in that folder, correct?

thanks

monokitty
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:52 AM
A TM should restore your previous system and data exactly the way it used to be when it was backed up originally by TM. In short: Yes, your music will organized the same way it used to be via a restore with TM.

Guitar King
Apr 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM
but thats the thing, I don't want to restore everything. I only want to do a selective restore. I assume this would be done by doing a clean formate and then selectively adding files saved in TM

monokitty
Apr 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
but thats the thing, I don't want to restore everything. I only want to do a selective restore. I assume this would be done by doing a clean formate and then selectively adding files saved in TM

In that case, you won't be restoring via TM, but manually dragging and dropping items from the TM disk to your hard drive. In that case, drag the entire "Music" folder from the TM disk to the same location on your new system - viola. (Replace existing Music folder.)

HowEver
Apr 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM
In that case, you won't be restoring via TM, but manually dragging and dropping items from the TM disk to your hard drive. In that case, drag the entire "Music" folder from the TM disk to the same location on your new system - viola. (Replace existing Music folder.)

Viola--and other instruments as well. It's an iTunes folder, after all.

Guitar King
Apr 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM
ok great!

thanks guys

macfan306
Jul 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Which ever folders you restore manually (ie. iTunes and/or Garage Band within the Music folder) I recommend manually restoring the corresponding Plist files in the User>Library>Preferences folder. (any file in that folder that has the word itunes/ipod/garage band in it.). Also, restore the iTunes folder found in User>Library. The reason I recommend this action is so that your purchased items don't give you problems like iPhone ringtones.

chas_m
Jul 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Viola--and other instruments as well. It's an iTunes folder, after all.

LOL!!

Yeah, "voila" and "viola" -- one of those "forgivable typos" I've been guilty of many a time. :)