: Dictionary?

joyanne
Apr 8th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Can someone tell me if I need to activate the dictionary that comes installed? I cvan open it in finder but when I follow the instructions to use it by typing in a word, it comes up "no entries found". Should it come up automatically or do I have to check a box somewhere in the system set up?

Adrian.
Apr 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM
The dictionary is in your widgets. You must be connected to the internet I believe also. I have no used any dictionaries outside of the widgets one. I believe that is the only one though.

sashmo
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
When you are typing in an app like Mail, highlight the word and then either right click on your mouse or hold down the control key and click, and a window with a choice of options opens. Look up in Dictionary is one of the options. That SHOULD activate the dictionary. You can even use the dictionary when typing in a field on a web site, like this one. Another way to activate the dictionary is through Services, which is under the name of the app, (such as Mail, or Safari) at the upper left menu choices.

iMatt
Apr 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
You don't need the internet for Dictionary.app.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing: it's the red book icon in your Applications folder.

Once you've launched it, you should have a window similar to a Spotlight window. Start typing in the search box and a list of entries will appear (getting shorter as you continue typing and narrowing it down).

Is that what isn't working?