: please help before my eyes start bleeding! (network prob)

uglybob
Apr 8th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Here's the setup. eMac 1.25 GHz, with modem (dialup) and airport extreme card. they work fine. wireless router, iMac connected to router by ethernet and a PC XX) connected wirelessly. router's IP: 192.168.2.1. it gives a similar IP to the other computers by DHCP. fine so far. I turn on internet connection sharing and the eMac gets no connection to the router (wireless). and of course, no other computer can connect to the internet through it. It seems to want to give my airport card a different IP address... 169.254.... something. as soon as I shut off the ICS I can connect to the router again. even if I set the address manually this happens. why and how do I fix it? please and thank you.
:confused:

chas_m
Apr 8th, 2008, 01:36 AM
192.168.2.1 is also used by Mac OS X internally, IIRC, so my guess is that the router's IP is causing a conflict. Change that and the problem may vanish.

uglybob
Apr 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I'll try that, thanks.

Macified
Apr 8th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Just trying to be clear here...

Are you trying to share your dial-up internet connection to the other computers?

If yes, the easiest is to just use dial up and wireless. Forget the router.

connect the eMac to the internet and use ICS to share out via airport. Connect all systems to the eMac via wireless.

Alternatively, you could ICS to share via ethernet and plug that into the WAN port of your router.

You may have tried these options already.

uglybob
Apr 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
that is what I'm trying to do, yes. I will try it without the router but the iMac doesn't have wireless. I guess I could set the router to just be a WAP for the iMac?

uglybob
Apr 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM
this is supposed to be so simple and I have shared my connection before but not over the airport since I just got it. I just can't figure out why my IP address changes when I turn on ICS.

Orion
Apr 8th, 2008, 10:01 PM
With the eMac set to dial out and sharing the connection to the router via ethernet cable, the router should then be handing out addresses to anything connected to it (iMac and PC).

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, are you trying to connect the eMac to the router wirelessly? If so that would be the issue as the router can't use the wireless as both a LAN *and* WAN port at the same time... at least none that I've used. Your model may in fact have that ability.

If the router is connected to the eMac via ethernet and the eMac's wireless is turned off, does that fix the connectivity issue?

uglybob
Apr 9th, 2008, 11:23 AM
that fixed the issue, thanks :clap: however it also defeats the purpose of having that nice new (used) airport extreme card in my eMac. :( oh well, Thanks for making my eyeballs stop bleeding.