: I need a new lawnmower

scandy
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Its time for a new mower, and want to know if anyone has heard of any deals? Don't need a rider, just a push mower.

simon
Mar 31st, 2008, 11:30 PM
Personally I would recommend a Honda lawnmover - push mower, feet driven.

They are more expensive than your Canadian Tire Brand but man are they sturdy and well built. Mine is approaching it's 20th year and still starts on it's first or second pull of the cord.

MaxPower
Apr 1st, 2008, 12:06 AM
I bought a Troy Built self propelled at CT last year and works fine for me. I saw Home Depot and Lowes now have John Deere push mowers. They look good, but maybe because they look like the lawn tractors. ;)

Depending on your yard size a self propelled saves you a whole lot of sweat.

kps
Apr 1st, 2008, 12:17 AM
Get the one that you know you can get parts for; 1-2-3-4-5 years down the road.;)

Sitting Bull
Apr 1st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Good morning all,
I am in the lawn maintenance business and over the years I have used all makes of mowers. I put them through hell every season.In one summer 1 push mower puts on enough hrs to equal about 10 years of a home owners use.
All my mowers are Honda self propelled. I have some that are 4 yrs old. and they still work.

lyonsnet
Apr 1st, 2008, 12:18 PM
I also vote for Honda. They are expensive, but "when I was a boy 18 years ago" I remember my dad buying a honda self-propelled mower. He's still using it!

He does a regular tune up every spring, and it still starts on first pull every time.

Cheers,

Dr.G.
Apr 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Lee Valley Reel Mowers - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10190&cat=2,2160,51170&ap=1)

This is what I got as a Father's Day gift last year. My wife got it from Lee Valley, and had it shipped. Was even able to use it in July once the snow melted. It is quiet and works well.

jamesB
Apr 1st, 2008, 01:26 PM
Lee Valley Reel Mowers - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&p=10190&cat=2,2160,51170&ap=1)

This is what I got as a Father's Day gift last year. My wife got it from Lee Valley, and had it shipped. Was even able to use it in July once the snow melted. It is quiet and works well.
Those are very similar to the one I use, I think mine is called "American Standard".
I enjoy the cutting of my lawn again, plus the lack of a Carbon Tax is a bonus.

jb.

Dr.G.
Apr 1st, 2008, 01:50 PM
jb, I like going out on a Sunday morning and mowing the lawn, and not worrying about waking anyone up. Someone in our neighborhood has a power mower that must be built by Harley Davidson, because of the noise that it makes. It is not too loud where I am located, but people next door must need ear plugs to deaden the noise.

rgray
Apr 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM
I have a Honda mower. the Honda began life in England for my father-in-law and was pretty much maintenance deprived while used over rough ground for 15 years. After he died it sat in mother-in-laws greenhouse except when I was over and I would clean it and run it - that lasted 5 or 6 years. Then it got tossed in a container and shipped over the pond when she came so we could care for her. I changed the oil, put in a new plug gassed her and have been running it as a trim and utility mower and light duty bush-hog for 3 or 4 years since. Wish I could say the same for my CTC mower (engine rebuilt twice in 3 years) and my tractor (Home Depot's house brand). Next tractor will be a Honda.... I should have learned from the push mower and my 5 Honda cars (the first four went over 400,000 km each - I changed oil and tyres, one starter and one alternator altogether). If it has a motor, bet Honda!

Never much of a fan of self propelled but then my lot is rough and hilly and different walking speeds are required in different parts. Self propelled mowers are crappy for trimming.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Apr 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM
Where are you and what are you looking for? I just bought a house in Oakville and aside from the 2 truckloads of crap the previous owner left in the house, he left a brand new (used maybe 1 or 2 times it appears) electric lawnmower; Yardworks, I believe a 14 amp. I want to see what it is worth but am selling it to recoup my dump / gas costs.

JumboJones
Apr 1st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Where are you and what are you looking for? I just bought a house in Oakville and aside from the 2 truckloads of crap the previous owner left in the house, he left a brand new (used maybe 1 or 2 times it appears) electric lawnmower; Yardworks, I believe a 14 amp. I want to see what it is worth but am selling it to recoup my dump / gas costs.I might be interested in that, PM the asking price, I could pick it up anytime soon.

eMacMan
Apr 1st, 2008, 02:46 PM
Why not get a goat?:D

simon
Apr 1st, 2008, 04:41 PM
Why not get a goat?:D

then wouldn't you have to worry about something else on the lawn?

hhk
Apr 1st, 2008, 05:25 PM
My theory on mowers. If you're going to get a gas mower, get the cheapest 4-stroke mower you can find with a Briggs & Stratton motor. The motor easy to maintain, fix and parts are as handy as your closest Canadian Tire dealer. Ignore the manual that says you should change the oil annually. A homeowner will never put enough mileage on a lawnmower motor to wear out the oil.

To ensure longevity, periodically clean the bottom of the deck. Remove all the grass. This will prevent the deck from rusting out which almost always the reason people throw out a mower.

shoe
Apr 1st, 2008, 06:46 PM
Ive had problems with lawn boys, geesh getting those bastards started sometimes!
This will be the 3rd spring in 3 years this new one I got wont start and will go in for maintanence again!

bryanc
Apr 1st, 2008, 07:06 PM
I also have a reel mower, which I like the quiet sound of. It's also good exercise.

However, if the current weather is any indication, I won't be needing it until late July or August this year.

Cheers

ErnstNL
Apr 1st, 2008, 07:20 PM
I am still using a Black and Decker electric mower which I bought in 1985. I have abused it and it still works great. Original blade and I give it a quick sharpening up with a Dremel twice a season.
If I was to buy a gas mower I would spend the extra and go with a Honda.

hhk
Apr 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Ive had problems with lawn boys, geesh getting those bastards started sometimes!
This will be the 3rd spring in 3 years this new one I got wont start and will go in for maintanence again!

Avoid the problem next season by starting it and warming it every couple of weeks during the winter. Do you use gas stabilizer over the winter?