: A farewell to classic

i4detail
Mar 31st, 2008, 02:27 AM
MaCanuck: Canadian Perspective on all things Apple: We're going back in time. (http://macanuck.blogspot.com/2008/03/were-going-back-in-time.html)

gwillikers
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:22 AM
I'm somewhat nostalgic about those classic days (years), but I haven't used it in nearly 2 years, so I'm okay with saying farewell to it.

I almost wish I could rebuild my desktop, and install RamDoubler, just to pay homage to it. :lmao:

Lichen Software
Mar 31st, 2008, 07:36 AM
I am sitting here in the kitchen on a PB 1400 running OS 8.6, browsing the site with WamCom Mozilla. This machine just sits here so I have a machine at my disposal early in the morning before people get up.

It has become like vintage cars. I like vintage macs. And they are much more affordable than cars. My only rule is that I must be able to purpose them for something.

Classic is probably one of the nicest single user systems to use, I still do not like the dock on OS X. Classic has an App display mechanism at the top right in the menu - drop down list, no real screen real estate lost. For all applications, I just have a folder open with aliases to the apps. It stays inthe background, where it should.

Classic may be slow to start, but it is fast to shut down when you are done. OS X is slow at that.

Speed is reflective of hardwware. On the same hardware, Classic runs about 2.5 times faster than OS X. So a 400 MHz G3 or G4 running Classic translates to a 1 GHz G4 running OS X.

If you can purpose the machine, it is really quite efficient.

So, I still use Classic for fun most days. Where it falls down is modern web browsing, multi media etc where time has passed Classic by or where there is sheer raw horsepower needed.

Over the next little while I want to look at putting Linux on some of the old machines just to see. I hate to see really nice hardware trashed when it could be userful.

SINC
Mar 31st, 2008, 08:34 AM
I keep my G4 1.25 eMac running Tiger and Classic just so I can play old games on it. Card and puzzle games I like, but are not available for system 10.

chas_m
Mar 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM
I was done with Classic a looong time ago, but I do keep Sheepshaver running OS 9 on this Intel BlackBook so that I can play one particular favourite game.

fjnmusic
Mar 31st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Speaking of old classic Mac games, does anybody remember Shufflepuck cafe?

eMacMan
Mar 31st, 2008, 02:28 PM
I still do much of my photo stuff booted in OS9. Couple of reasons. PhotoShop Elements1 uses the screen real estate more efficiently than the OSX versions.

Also I can put 40 images in a folder and have them stay in the same locations using icon view. Something that no version of OSX has ever managed to accomplish. The reason this is essential is that I prepare printed index sheets with 40 images to a sheet arranged in a 5x8 grid. This gives me a quick visual correlation when I am searching for a particular image eliminating the need to look or search for the individual image name.

hayesk
Mar 31st, 2008, 02:35 PM

Yes, I still remember that character that looked like Preston Manning shouting out "Nice shot! Nice shot!" whenever you scored on him.

That and "Scruffy vs. the Invaders from Mars" are two great games that never made it off the 9" B&W Macs.

irontree
Mar 31st, 2008, 07:40 PM

Yep I have that running on a fully functional Mac Classic II and I play it in OS X using vMac. Great game!