: eMac on TV

JeremusCaesar
Mar 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I have a 1ghz eMac with 512mb RAM connected to a TV running at 1388x768. When I play video on it, it tends to be incredibly choppy. Does anyone have a machine like this that they have successfully gotten to play video on an external screen or shall I simply give up? I'd be prepared to upgrade the RAM or change configuration or such things, but I don't want to screw with it in the hopes that it will work, if it's just not capable and I need to plug in a better machine.

ericlewis91
Mar 30th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I have a 1ghz eMac with 512mb RAM connected to a TV running at 1388x768. When I play video on it, it tends to be incredibly choppy. Does anyone have a machine like this that they have successfully gotten to play video on an external screen or shall I simply give up? I'd be prepared to upgrade the RAM or change configuration or such things, but I don't want to screw with it in the hopes that it will work, if it's just not capable and I need to plug in a better machine.
ram will likely help

video is a ram hogger

JeremusCaesar
Mar 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
It can only go to 1gb. Do you think that will be enough?

Carl
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM
Before I got my 24" iMac, I used a 1 Ghz eMac for video and attached it to my TV.

Two things, you need the full 1 Gig of RAM, and you need to use VLC as the video player.

You could try VLC first and see if it is better.

CanadaRAM
Mar 31st, 2008, 06:39 PM
It can only go to 1gb. Do you think that will be enough?

There are two versions of the 1 GHz eMac -- the USB 1.1 version takes PC133 RAM, and the USB 2.0 version takes DDR PC2700 (or PC3200) RAM. You can check by going to System Profiler (Apple menu, About this Mac, More info...) and clicking on the Memory tab. You should see the speed of your existing RAM listed there.

If you have the DDR version, then you can go to 2 GB RAM with 2 x 1 GB DIMMs.

Carl
Apr 1st, 2008, 03:20 PM
I believe the USB 2.0 version came with a speed bump to 1.25 Ghz. I remember being annoyed at the time the USB 2.0 came out, as I had the previous iteration.

joemulder
Apr 5th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I have the same emac, will try it out next week.