: iBook G3 battery rebuild question

swmftech
Mar 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hi all,

I am a relatively new Mac user. I recently purchased a used 14" 600MHz G3 dual usb model iBook. The battery was basically shot, with CoconutBattery reporting only 188mAh of charge available. I tried resetting the PMU (multiple times), doing the reset-nvram and reset-all commands in Open Firmware, and recharging/discharging to sleep mode without the battery gaining any usage time. I decided to be brave and put new cells in the battery. The process seemed to go fine. However, when I put the battery back inside the iBook it still shows that I only have 188mAh hours of charge available. I tried all of the above tricks to get the battery to recalibrate in addition to touching the outside connectors of the battery trying to reset the chip inside the battery itself to no avail. I also put a different battery in the iBook and ran/charged it successfully to prove out the problem being with the battery and not the iBook (I think.)

Does anyone have any other suggestions to try? Otherwise I'll chuck the battery and buy a new one. Thank you.

Andy

monokitty
Mar 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Serious - just buy a new battery and be done with it.

EvanPitts
Mar 28th, 2008, 03:56 PM
A new battery will do the task, though make sure to shop around because some places really gouge. I would also consider one of the battery rebuild services, if they are reasonable. I know that Radio Shack has a rebuild service, but they are no longer in Canada, and I do not know if they do Lithium packs.

The Lithium Ion cells are not as durable as they lead you to think. My battery fails to hold an acceptable charge after only 160 cycles. (They are supposed to be good out to 1000 cycles). The packs for the iBook only have six battery cells in them (they are AA sized lithium ion cells), and half the places want in excess of $120 for a pack.

CanadaRAM
Mar 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Lithium Ion batteries can be seriously dangerous if they are not properly rebuilt. They can overheat or burn up.

chas_m
Mar 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
What Lars Said.

swmftech
Mar 29th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I appreciate that all of you have replied. However, I am a tinkerer and like to do projects like this just because I can. Am I off base when I think it's weird that the battery with new cells is reporting the same capacity as the old cells? Seems to me it should be a simple reset somewhere, but I haven't found any info pertaining to this. I must have done something correctly if I can run the laptop (albeit for a very short time) with the new cells inside the battery case. It doesn't get hot, by the way...

chas_m
Mar 29th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I appreciate that all of you have replied. However, I am a tinkerer and like to do projects like this just because I can. Am I off base when I think it's weird that the battery with new cells is reporting the same capacity as the old cells? Seems to me it should be a simple reset somewhere, but I haven't found any info pertaining to this. I must have done something correctly if I can run the laptop (albeit for a very short time) with the new cells inside the battery case. It doesn't get hot, by the way...

It could be that you need to do a SMC reset/PMU reset (I forget which one applies to this model/particular case).

swmftech
Mar 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it's the PMU that applies, and I've tried it many times.

Mad Mac
Mar 29th, 2008, 10:57 PM
How many times have you cycled the battery since it was recelled? I've seen a few places that say it takes a number of charge /discharge cycles to get the new cells up to full charge.

swmftech
Mar 29th, 2008, 10:59 PM
At least 15. The capacity never changes.