: Waist shrinking strategies

MasterBlaster
Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:09 AM

Max
Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Dang... that's just weird. Why on earth would anyone want a waist that small.

I wonder what possessed her to wear such a restrictive corset for... decades. I find the look repulsive. She looks like a cross between a woman and an ant. Or a thin-stemmed wine glass... it looks like you could snap her like a twig!

SINC
Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
She looks like a cross between a woman and an ant.

I didn't quite know how to describe her when I watched the video, but that works. Matter of fact, it's hilarious! :lmao:

Sonal
Mar 23rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Amused that I'm seeing this just after I finished re-reading Gone With The Wind.

Scarlett was pissed off that they couldn't lace her back into an 18-inch waist after having children.... she was forced settle for a matronly 20 inches and had to let out all of her dresses.

gwillikers
Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
If the top half is heavier than the bottom half... couldn't she snap in half in a windstorm?

gordguide
Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Sonal, Scarlett was a small woman.

But, more importantly, she was a small woman by 19th century standards.

We (men and women alike) are giants compared to average North Americans of 150 years ago.

Those who deal with vintage clothing, body measurement (clothes sizing) software, movie trivia, and history all tell us the same story.

One UK clothing company tells us the average Brit gal of 1920 measured 32 - 20 -32 (81 - 51 - 81) and wore a B-Cup Bra. The same people measure the average Brit gal of 2000 at 36 - 28 - 38, stuffs her 4-inch larger bust into a C-Cup, and is an inch taller.

Similarly, Marlyn Monroe's dressmaker reports she measured 35 -22 - 35 (the movie studio's press releases say 37 - 23 - 36), was 5 feet 5 1/2 inches tall, and weighed 118 pounds. There is little doubt she had an unusually narrow waist for a woman of her size, as it's often remarked upon in the press of the day, and she took advantage of the cleavage enhancing effect of a slightly too small 36- bra, although she had the good sense to use a D cup.

However you can also read that she wore a size 12 dress. Usually, the context of her dress size is something along the lines of " don't worry about not being a petite girl, Marlyn Monroe was a size 12".

They don't follow that by including Marlyn's real (or the studio's Hollywood-modified) measurements, either of which would spoil the white lie implied by that statement, because a size 12 of 1950, which was a standard based on actual measurements (EN 13402), is identical to a 2008 ladies size 6.

According to historians, corsets of the late 19th century were 16 to 20" at the waist for "young, fashionable women" and 21 to 26 for the "more mature".

I think a little is lost in the translation when you focus on the inches of Scarlett's waist; literature is funny that way.

Readers in earlier times almost certainly would have picked up on the subtle clue that the passage implies ... that Scarlett is getting a little old to be still trying to snare a husband, and that she is stubborn and perhaps unwise to hold out for love when the clock is most certainly ticking. You were more correct than you might have realized when you called it a "matronly 20 inches"; the significance is not in the 20 inches but in the none-too-subtly-implied "matronly".

It's a romantic novel; these little things are a big part of telling the whole story of Scarlett's dilemma, the times she lived in, and her personality.

The Doug
Mar 23rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hat trick, Cathie Jung! Revolting, stupid, and vain!

adagio
Mar 23rd, 2008, 07:43 PM
Max, LMAO!!! Good description of that freak.

MasterBlaster
Mar 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM

MasterBlaster
Mar 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM

MissGulch
Mar 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
....Marlyn Monroe was a size 12". <snip>

Let's cut right to the chase then. Men, who was hotter - Marilyn or the human ant? :confused:

MacDoc
Mar 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Now GG.....one wonder what fetish lurks given that level of restriction.....errrrr description ;)

rgray
Mar 28th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Let's cut right to the chase then. Men, who was hotter - Marilyn or the human ant? :confused:

I'll bite... Marilyn. No question. That ant thing is just too freakish - decidedly non-attractive.... Just my $0.02 Cdn...

Max
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn .

Although I'm sure the ant lady is a lovely woman with a super husband who understands her specialness, etc. etc.

SINC
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn Marilyn .

Although I'm sure the ant lady is a lovely woman with a super husband who understands her specialness, etc. etc.
Uh, shouldn't that have been "who understands her species", etc.?

rgray
Mar 28th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Uh, shouldn't that have been "who understands her species", etc.?

:clap: