: mighty mouse scroll button not working. Suggestions?

WWeeks
Mar 14th, 2008, 05:01 AM
I've tried changing the battery and have checked all the installation and preferences, but still no luck.

Has anyone had the same problem, or can anyone offer any suggestions?

It's still under warranty so should I just cut my losses and exchange it for a new one?

Thanks!

spitfire
Mar 14th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Yes had it 3 times with customers of mine back in the retail days. My advise to you is just take the mouse with you and they will give you a new one for the older one (jsut show them your recipt) and they will RTV the other unit.. or put it on display or what the hell it is they do over there now a days...

silverdreamer
Mar 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
I've tried changing the battery and have checked all the installation and preferences, but still no luck.

Has anyone had the same problem, or can anyone offer any suggestions?

It's still under warranty so should I just cut my losses and exchange it for a new one?

Thanks!

How old is it? and has it been working?

If the answer is it has never worked, take it back, otherwise, ........get a clean dry cloth, moisten with a small amount of metho, (available at most Bunnings stores.) turn the mouse upside down and rub gently but firmly in all directions. Then get a dry cloth and do the same.

This should fix it

Gerbill
Mar 14th, 2008, 10:40 PM
This issue has been covered here before. There are light-duty fixes for when the crud causing the problem isn't too bad, and also links to instructions for taking the mouse apart and cleaning it for when the crud is plentiful. I suggest a search of the archives.

silverdreamer
Mar 14th, 2008, 10:44 PM
This issue has been covered here before. There are light-duty fixes for when the crud causing the problem isn't too bad, and also links to instructions for taking the mouse apart and cleaning it for when the crud is plentiful. I suggest a search of the archives.

I dare say a light clean is all that's needed.

Gerbill
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I dare say a light clean is all that's needed.

Well, there's no way of telling, unless you're claiming psychic powers. :)

The symptoms are the same for light and heavy contamination. The only way to tell is to try the various techniques for light cleaning. If that doesn't work, it's quite possible to dismantle the mouse and clean the crud out. Not easy, but it can be done.

silverdreamer
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Well, there's no way of telling, unless you're claiming psychic powers. :)

The symptoms are the same for light and heavy contamination. The only way to tell is to try the various techniques for light cleaning. If that doesn't work, it's quite possible to dismantle the mouse and clean the crud out. Not easy, but it can be done.

not psychic, but the original poster joined in March '08, probably after purchasing e new Mac, therefore I doubt the Mouse is more than a few weeks old, so, like I said, I dare say a light clean will fix the little fellow.;)

Mine is 18 mths old and I have Never needed to do any more than clean the ball on a regular basis.

Would be nice to get an update from the original poster.

zlinger
Mar 15th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Flip the mighty mouse over and run the ball on a lint free cloth that has been dampened with mild soapy water. Thats all you need to do.

Carl
Mar 15th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I had a similar problem. Cleaning had worked for the first few times, then it just stopped working. Apple replaced it.

Gerbill
Mar 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Sometimes simple cleaning procedures will work.

Sometimes they won't.

Sometimes Apple will replace a gunked up mouse.

Sometimes they won't. (depends on validity of warranty.)

Sometimes a Mighty Mouse can be both hopelessly gunked up and out of warranty.

Your choices then are to discard it or dismantle and clean it.

Both of these are valid solutions. Up to you to choose.