: I need a push in the right direction! [HELP!]

Jerich
Mar 9th, 2008, 12:04 AM
OK, so I've lived with my 17" Powerbook for almost 4 years and its high time I make the move to something bigger and something that has a bit more umph to it. I've debated for quite some time and just need the final push to get me over the edge.

I spent roughly 2k on my laptop and although its a bit of cash after all this time it has felt worth it. I am looking at the 2.8GHz, 24" 500GB HD, 2G Ram, iMac and am wondering: Will I feel the same way as I did with my Powerbook? Is it WORTH the price. Will I enjoy it for a good 4 years at minimum and at the end will I feel like, "hey, money well spent!" There's nothing worse than a purchase that leaves a sour taste of regret in your mouth.

I really wanted to get the new iMacs when the first generation came out, but waited a while for the "kinks" to get worked out. I figured there wouldn't be many lemons floating around.

Also, I never bothered with AppleCare with my laptop. I try to take really good care of my things, not to mention apple made a rock solid design of the laptop. Do you suggest I go with AppleCare with my iMac?

Give me your insights! All critique and comments are welcome (:

[Addendum] Where do you recommend I buy this Mac with the stats I outlined above? Apple Store? I live in Toronto and am curious to know if there are any reputable Resellers any of you have dealt with and recommend.

[Addendum deux!] I was a student of the U of T and know my ID still lets me into the U of T Apple Store on the Apple.ca website. Does Apple, or the U of T apple store check if you're still a current student to allow you the discount? Sketchy, I know! But curious nonetheless!

monokitty
Mar 9th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I am looking at the 2.8GHz, 24" 500GB HD, 2G Ram, iMac and am wondering: Will I feel the same way as I did with my Powerbook? Is it WORTH the price. Will I enjoy it for a good 4 years at minimum and at the end will I feel like, "hey, money well spent!"

Yes. (But, of course, something better always comes out shortly after [less than a year], and no computer lasts forever. As long as you know and are comfortable with those facts, then yes.)

I really wanted to get the new iMacs when the first generation came out, but waited a while for the "kinks" to get worked out. I figured there wouldn't be many lemons floating around.

A computer with a single or even two (or even three) broken parts over its lifespan doesn't make it a lemon. Despite the iMac being around for a long time now, that doesn't guarantee yours will last 4 years trouble-free.

Also, I never bothered with AppleCare with my laptop. I try to take really good care of my things, not to mention apple made a rock solid design of the laptop. Do you suggest I go with AppleCare with my iMac?

Yes. You were lucky with your previous Mac. If the display or logic board goes south on your new 24" iMac, it will cost more than half the price of what you original paid for the computer originally to have it repaired. This is Apple's motivation to push the purchase of AppleCare - or a new computer if the failed computer isn't covered by an APP.

[Addendum deux!] I was a student of the U of T and know my ID still lets me into the U of T Apple Store on the Apple.ca website. Does Apple, or the U of T apple store check if you're still a current student to allow you the discount? Sketchy, I know! But curious nonetheless!

Type in any random combination of letters and numbers and it will let you in. The numbers are never (or rarely) verified. However, if you go down the ethically and morally correct road, you will not take advantage of said EDU discount if you really don't qualify for it. ;) The EDU savings aren't huge in any case.

Adrian.
Mar 9th, 2008, 12:22 AM
For the education store just say your are k-12 faculty...you just click a little green button that says "I Agree" (that I am a faculty member) and poof 200 bucks disappears from the price.