: Coffee + macbook pro?

LiquidFiend
Mar 8th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Now, myself, I'm a lover of coffee, nothing in the world that is better. However, I believe my macbook pro has a different opinion.

If you haven't guessed by now, I spilled coffee on my macbook pro. I shut it down (it didn't do it automatically) and I took out the battery ... there was coffee on the leads of the battery.

The coffee was black, so I'm hoping that there won't be much stickyness like there would be with cream and sugar.

I have taken just the battery and the ram cover off as I don't have a torx screwdriver small enough to continue the mission.

How long should I wait to be confident that all of the coffee has dried up? I'm thinking 24 hours?

It wasn't a really large amount of coffee, the most of it came out when I immediately turned it upside down, when I took out the battery there were a few spots with a drop or two of coffee on it, but not much.

Any tips would be helpful, thanks :)

thegreenapple
Mar 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
when my Blackberry go's for a drink i put it in a small ziplock bag filled 1/2 way with white rice and in 24 hours iti is dry as a bone

don't really know about coffee as that has something else then water in it but to dry it out i would put about 3-6 cups of white rice in a bag and put the MBP in that and tie it up

Hope that helps

monokitty
Mar 8th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Leave it off for a full 2 days. Unless you're experienced with taking apart Mac portables and assessing liquid damage, do not try to take it apart further - you risk doing more bad than good.

iMouse
Mar 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
http://photo.tisch.nyu.edu/props/IO/17304/253/lovemachines.jpg

LiquidFiend
Mar 10th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for your responses, sadly, it is dead.

It wants to start, but the screen doesn't come on and the button at the front just blinks.

Now, obviously AppleCare doesn't cover my genius-self pouring coffee on my laptop, however will they look at it to see exactly what is damaged (covered by AppleCare) so I can try and look for someone else to repair it?

Also, I see that there are people who are Authorized Apple Dealers, but are they able to service my computer without voiding my AppleCare?

I've talked to a Apple Heskdesk person who said it's most likely the logic board and for Apple to replace it, with service it would be around $1300, however, I'm a broke college student, so $1300 isn't really possible for me. Does anyone know where there is cheap Apple technicians that don't void the AppleCare (if that's even possible)?

Thanks.

Irie Guy
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Ah LiquidFiend your screen name explains your predicament. You will be charged for the diagnosis. I know we were charged for the spill diagnosis on our now dead and gone iBook and we had Applecare as well.

HowEver
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:09 AM
I'm not an Apple tech, but I'm pretty sure your warrant is void since liquid damage is not covered. It's also possible that if you buy a new logic board, have an authorized Apple repair service replace yours, and find there are still problems, that Apple will blame those problems on the liquid damage.

Sorry about your loss.

How did you purchase the laptop? Many credit cards, especially the gold kind, extend warranty coverage in some ways, chronologically if not against damage.

Better though is this: do you have home insurance? Even basic home insurance coverage may cover this kind of damage.

LiquidFiend
Mar 10th, 2008, 10:51 AM
I purchased the laptop half on a student visa, and half on debit, so I'm assuming I do not have any insurance on that, but I will check it out.

As far as home insurance, I live with my parents so I would have to ask them about it.

Thanks for the advice.

Sorry about your loss.

Thanks.

GlassOnion
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:28 PM
There could be other internal components damaged by the liquid (hdd, ram, optical drive, keyboard, airport card) so before buying a motherboard replacement all theses parts should be tested individually. You should try to find someone who can test them. Can you tell us the MBP model ?

LiquidFiend
Mar 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM
yea, it's the MBP 15" 2.2Ghz core 2 duo

Carl
Mar 10th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Since you shut it down before it died, I wouldn't count it out. I would let it dry out completely, which may take days. The rice bag sounds like a good idea. Hopefully you didnt start it up too soon.

LiquidFiend
Mar 10th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I didn't do the rice bag thing, but I left it for over 48 hours

clarkmueller
Mar 11th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Having had a fair bit of experience diagnosing and repairing spill damage (officially, as an Apple certified tech), it is usually worth a diagnostic fee to at least find out what's wrong. Usually a diagnostic fee will be between $50 and $100.

At that point, it really depends. A lot of the time, the keyboard on Apple notebooks, especially PowerBooks and MacBook Pros, will protect the rest of the unit from substantial damage. It is almost always the case that the keyboard will need to be replaced. This is about a $150 repair with P/L, depending on where you take it. Beyond that, someone who knows what to look for can isolate what's causing the machine to not boot and assess what needs to be replaced. If your machine is totally dead, that could be a logic board ($$$), but it could also just be something like the DC-in board (maybe another $150 repair).

Now, in reality, you'd be lucky to get away with only a couple hundred dollars in damage. With any substantial amount of damage, the unit is almost always a write-off or prohibitively expensive to repair. Even a small amount of liquid can irreparably destroy the tiny components on modern PCBs, and often before the machine can even be disassembled. But it might still be worth the diagnostic to find out what exactly is wrong, and decide then if the repair cost warrants replacement of the machine. Most (but not all) Apple Authorized Dealers are also Apple Authorized Service Providers. Just ask wherever it is you decide to take your computer.

HowEver
Mar 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
If the above assessment does tell you that the logic board is fried, check out what it might mean to sell the working parts part by part.

There have been scores of posts about broken displays/topcase here on ehMac and how prohibitively expensive it is to buy a replacement part. That part alone could recoup many hundreds of dollars, towards the cost of a replacement computer. And there will of course be other working parts remaining as well.