: Spinning Beach Ball of Death and Macbook Pro

Zer0tails
Mar 7th, 2008, 02:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

any help would be much appreciated. :)

I have a 2.4 ghz, 2gb ram and 200 GB hard drive Macbook Pro Penryn. I find that I get the spinning beach ball quite a lot lately and it lasts for maybe 10-15 seconds.

It happens much more in Firefox (around 6 times in a 2 hr browsing session) than Safari (twice).

I don't quite understand why this is..because I thought the MBP would be more than capable for such simple tasks? These cases happened when I was simply surfing, listening to itunes, chatting. No heavy stuff.

I was even told by the Apple Geek when I bought the MBP to say goodbye to spinning beach balls unless i was doing cpu intensive work.

Some observations: According to istat pro: I have about 126 MB of RAM free. CPU user: 20%, System 7%, Idele: 75%

Is there something wrong with my MBP? or is this normal??

thanks!

CubaMark
Mar 7th, 2008, 03:05 AM
A few things to consider...

1/ Not probable, but - how much free space do you have? (I suspect this isn't it, but you never know)

2/ Do you do any maintenance? Running Onyx, or Cocktail, etc., to clean out system caches, etc.?

3/ Have you repaired permissions lately (Disk Utility) (though there is a debate about its usefulness)

4/ Are you fully up-to-date with your version of OS X?

5/ Are there any system add-ons that perhaps need to be updated to newer versions?

6/ I believe in another thread in Troubleshooting someone mentioned iStat Pro as being the culprit in an issue they were having..... worth checking.

7/ Try creating a 2nd user account that has NONE of the add-ons you may have installed, if possible, and see if the problem remains. If so, it's a system-wide problem. If not, it's something specific to your user account.*

*FYI, whenever I install add-ons, such as SoundSource or SMART Reporter, I always choose, if I have the option. to install for the "current user only". This helps with troubleshooting, as you can create a virgin 2nd account with none of the add-ons.

Zer0tails
Mar 7th, 2008, 03:12 AM
A few things to consider...

1/ Not probable, but - how much free space do you have? (I suspect this isn't it, but you never know)

2/ Do you do any maintenance? Running Onyx, or Cocktail, etc., to clean out system caches, etc.?

3/ Have you repaired permissions lately (Disk Utility) (though there is a debate about its usefulness)

4/ Are you fully up-to-date with your version of OS X?

5/ Are there any system add-ons that perhaps need to be updated to newer versions?

6/ I believe in another thread in Troubleshooting someone mentioned iStat Pro as being the culprit in an issue they were having..... worth checking.

7/ Try creating a 2nd user account that has NONE of the add-ons you may have installed, if possible, and see if the problem remains. If so, it's a system-wide problem. If not, it's something specific to your user account.*

*FYI, whenever I install add-ons, such as SoundSource or SMART Reporter, I always choose, if I have the option. to install for the "current user only". This helps with troubleshooting, as you can create a virgin 2nd account with none of the add-ons.

Thanks CubaMark. I have about 143 gigs of free space left. My version of OS X is the latest. (I'm wondering if that's the problem)

I have not tried ONYX or repairing disk utility. I have been contemplating doing it but was afraid as people have said ONYX has crashed their system. I'm going to explore that avenue further.

I'll look into creating a separate user account and see if there is a problem.

thanks!

chas_m
Mar 7th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Have a look at Activity Monitor when the system is running slowly (ie you're seeing beachballs) and see if it can reveal what's chewing up the resources.

You're right that what you're experiencing isn't normal.

krs
Mar 7th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I get a spinning beachball when I download a webpage, something loads slow on that page which seems to happen more often recently (I can see the broeser is waiting for some part of the page to load) - and if I click at that time to do a few another tasks.

It's almost as if the CPU is telling me - hold on. I'm still waiting for this web site to finish loading.

Benito
Mar 8th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I get a spinning beachball when I download a webpage, something loads slow on that page which seems to happen more often recently (I can see the broeser is waiting for some part of the page to load) - and if I click at that time to do a few another tasks.

It's almost as if the CPU is telling me - hold on. I'm still waiting for this web site to finish loading.

That is exactly the same time that I get the spinning beach ball while surfing as well with Firefox. If a page is very very large or has video on it then I sometimes get that spinning ball as well.

eMacMan
Mar 8th, 2008, 08:23 PM
That is exactly the same time that I get the spinning beach ball while surfing as well with Firefox. If a page is very very large or has video on it then I sometimes get that spinning ball as well.

If your system is up to date you almost certainly have run at least one system update. Go ahead and run permission repair found; Utilities>DiskUtility

krs
Mar 8th, 2008, 08:35 PM

Not much one can do about that type of spinning beach ball i don't think.
If the web site gets stuck completely because some page from another site isn't loading, I jus hit the stop button in the browser..

chas_m
Mar 8th, 2008, 08:43 PM
First thing, try this: in Safari's preferences, try UNchecking the box under Autofill where it says "other forms". This stops Safari from trying to fill in form data where it can't easily determine what needs to go there. This may be the problem and doing this will fix it.

If not, it's probably due to flash video or flash ads.

Either disable Flash or use an ad-blocker of some kind. What's happening (I think) is that the Flash module has to load back into RAM every time you come across a page that calls for it.

Zer0tails
Mar 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
thanks everyone. I'm glad to report all's good now! :D I think i overlooked the fact that it would slow down when time machine was backing up..But all's good now :)