: PC vs Mac: I think I just converted myself

Ohmsford
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:18 PM
I don't even know where to begin guys, lets just say that my last few hours playing around on an iMac at school really has been an excitement. First thing I played with after opening a few windows, the mouse. Its ridiculous. Squeeze it to spread out all your windows, press the scroll wheel to access your widgets. Such little details that make such a big difference. I couldn't figure out the right click though, still can't. I was playing on a new iMac at futureshop and the mouse seemed to work a bit differently, but it looked the same (mighty mouse). That one when squeezed it opened up the spaces screen, and I could right click with it. Is that just some preference changes?

Microsoft office 2008 mac edition, this doesn't even make sense. 2008 mac edition makes 2007 windows edition look like a male teenager. Might look good, everything is their, nothing is missing, its just a pain in the ass to find anything, everything seems like it needs work. In 2007 windows edition nothing is the same from 2003 windows edition, everything has been changed.
2008 mac edition, all of the old stuff is still their, but all of the new stuff is their too! So you still get the added excitement of what looks nice, but you don't get the added frustration of trying to relearn how to use office. Seems like a weird move by microsoft, the mac edition easily grinds the windows edition to a fine pulp. I can't even believe it.

Breakdown of direct comparisons I made. Firefox works smoother, quicker, and doesn't need to be restarted after a few hours of browsing with 10-12 tabs open. With Vista it seems like after an hour Firefox needs so much memory to keep running, it just makes sense to restart it and it runs 10x faster then after a few hours. iTunes, obviously is going to be better with os X then any windows OS. It didn't crash on me after 5 minutes :clap: . Preview for pdf's, if you were a person, I would give you a clap on the back, good job. Adobe reader with vista, if it works 10 times without crashing, you are having a good day. Or it just stops downloading the pdf halfway through....

The machine I'm using is a previous generation iMac 20", 2.16ghz, with 2gbs of ram. It has 10.4.11 installed.

Just a few questions I have
Would the entry level iMac's (current gen) run noticeably slower with 2.0ghz and only 1gb of ram? Is their a way to right click? Any way to change what squeezing the mouse does, or is that a tiger/leopard difference?

Black
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:33 PM
About the Mighty Mouse buttons, there is a right click but it's touch sensitive. You can access the options to change the mouse in System Preferences. You can change everything around, even put it backwards if you're left handed.
However i believe the default sideclick on the MightyMouse is the setting that fans out all of the currently open windows.

"Would the entry level iMac's (current gen) run noticeably slower with 2.0ghz and only 1gb of ram?"
Depends on what. For browsing the internet, watching videos on youtube, No.
For photo/video editing yes. For gaming yes.
1Gb of ram is good for most things.

bgw
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:37 PM
The entry level iMac will run just fine but I have to personal provisos: get the 2 Gig of RAM it will make the machine faster and get the slightly upgraded iMac 20' it has a better video card in it. That being said, if all you want to do is use Office, email and surf the low end iMac will be perfect.

My right click is a click on the right side of the mouse beside the track ball. Keep your fingers off the left side of the mouse when doing it. It took me a little while to figure it out too...

You can set your mouse up anyway you like with the mouse and keyboard preferences. Go to town, you'll have a great time!

Ohmsford
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Would the entry level iMac be able to run windows xp in parallel and Autocad 2008 without much of a hiccup?

I'm studying civil engineering currently, it would be great if solidwords, autocad, p-frame, and s-frame had mac equivalents, but that just isn't how it is, or how it is going to be.

Most of my autocad/solidworks/p-frame/s-frame work would be done in 2-d of course, so usually a faster video card for 3d rendering isn't whats generally needed, its memory and cpu power to process the drawing, thats how it is on the windows machines anyways.

Eric0
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:52 PM
If you have the budget you might want to consider getting a refurbished 24 -inch. They have the same warranty etc as regular macs.

From my experience with 3d graphics having the extra screen real estate is an asset.

If not definitely load up the RAM with 3rd party stuff from Canadaram, crucial.com etc. Easy to do and will save you 00's than from buying Apple direct.

Ohmsford
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:58 PM
You can set your mouse up anyway you like with the mouse and keyboard preferences. Go to town, you'll have a great time!

Got it figured out, thank you

Black
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Would the entry level iMac be able to run windows xp in parallel and Autocad 2008 without much of a hiccup?

I'm studying civil engineering currently, it would be great if solidwords, autocad, p-frame, and s-frame had mac equivalents, but that just isn't how it is, or how it is going to be.

Most of my autocad/solidworks/p-frame/s-frame work would be done in 2-d of course, so usually a faster video card for 3d rendering isn't whats generally needed, its memory and cpu power to process the drawing, thats how it is on the windows machines anyways.

You could also use Bootcamp to run Windows. I haven't tried either yet(Bootcamp or Parallel) but i hear that Bootcamp is more stable in the way it works with more programs.

Bootcamp comes with the new Macs.

bgw
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:01 PM
The company I work for uses a lot of CAD packages. Two of the staff use Macs with Parallels. They have high end machines and everything works really well. Boot camp would be even faster then their Parallels set up. You should have no problem doing 2D, however I suspect the memory will be really important. Check out Autocad's requirements. They can be applied to the Mac. Also remember that as you learn more you will become more ambitious and your requirements will likely rise! Most of the structural work I see these days is done in 3D; makes doing beam column connections and sloping surfaces easier!

And lastly - the bigger the monitor the better! For good CAD you need 24 inches, however 30 inches is best. We can all dream...:rolleyes:

smashedbanana
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
I agree with you totally. I use a pc mouse all day and when I get home I have no patience for the mightymouse. Good news is there are plenty of PC mice that work fine in mac. I switch out for one when my wife isn't on the mac (she loves the mightymouse).

Ya Office 2008 is retarded, espcially .docx, .xlsx, etc. But Office 2007 on PC is the same nightmare. Office 2004 was slow but was great. Same with Office 2003 on PC. But hey we are slaves to that master.

Ed

Adrian.
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Macs work and they can be upgraded and personalised a great extent, despite popular misconceptions.

cheers

Ohmsford
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:47 PM
I agree with you totally. I use a pc mouse all day and when I get home I have no patience for the mightymouse. Good news is there are plenty of PC mice that work fine in mac. I switch out for one when my wife isn't on the mac (she loves the mightymouse).

Ya Office 2008 is retarded, espcially .docx, .xlsx, etc. But Office 2007 on PC is the same nightmare. Office 2004 was slow but was great. Same with Office 2003 on PC. But hey we are slaves to that master.

Ed

You missed me completely, I liked the mightymouse. And I loved office 2008 mac edition, loved it to pieces. The whole file types thing is a bit of a ridiculous over exaggeration. Microsoft introduced all the new file types in office 2003, but it wasn't set to save those new file types as default. That means that office 2003 (windows) and office 2004 (mac) can open .docx, .xlsx, etc). You actually restrict some of the new services you can use in word/excel/powerpoint by saving it in the old filetype.

hayesk
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:54 PM
If you are going to use Parallels instead of dual boot, get lots of RAM. It's cheap - get 4GB - but don't get it from Apple - Apple charges too much for RAM.