: d-link problems

sarahblue
Mar 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM
My brand new white Macbook (1G memory, v10.5.2) has become incredibly slow online. I spoke to a tech guy at Apple and he said it's probably because our router is a d-link "g" type and that the other routers in the area are interfering with my connection. Since Christmas, there have been a proliferation of new wireless routers around our house. My question is: Could I hook up a new airport extreme for my macbook, and still use the d-link router for my husband's nonmac notebook. He will absolutely not change routers at this time. Would two separate routers in the same house interfere with each other? I don't want to bridge them. Would this increase the speed of my computer? As you can probably tell, I'm not very computer literate, so I'm also asking if you would consider that in your reply. Thanks.

Mar 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
My brand new white Macbook (1G memory, v10.5.2) has become incredibly slow online. I spoke to a tech guy at Apple and he said it's probably because our router is a d-link "g" type and that the other routers in the area are interfering with my connection. Since Christmas, there have been a proliferation of new wireless routers around our house. My question is: Could I hook up a new airport extreme for my macbook, and still use the d-link router for my husband's nonmac notebook.

While that is entirely possible to do, you may want to consider and alternative. The issues that you describe may be a firmware issue (basically the software that runs the router) that could easily be solved by a firmware upgrade. You didn't mention which D-Link router you run, but in the case of D-Link if you flip it over you should see a model number and revision number. Make a note of that and take a surf over to D-Link TechSupport - Choose Your Country (http://support.dlink.com) and search for a firmware update for that model. They would also provide directions on how to perform the upgrade. I would try that first before spending cash.

Would two separate routers in the same house interfere with each other? I don't want to bridge them. Would this increase the speed of my computer? As you can probably tell, I'm not very computer literate, so I'm also asking if you would consider that in your reply. Thanks.

Would they interfere with each other? It is a possibility. You see, "g" routers (as in 802.11G which is the IEEE standard for that router) only have 11 channels to play on. If you have a number of devices in the same area that use the "g" standard (which would include things like 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, baby monitors, other "g" routers), they are working from the same 11 channels. So it is entirely possible that they may trip over each other from time to time. If you got an "n" router (as in 802.11N) it has way more channels to play on, so it would be less likely to trip over something.

One thing to consider is that the D-Link router that you have may have a feature called "Auto Channel Scan" or something like that which will pick the best channel for your given environment. You may want to enable that feature (if you have it as not all D-Link routers have it) to see if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps!

TroutMaskReplica
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:44 PM
you might try switch your router to broadcast using the wireless 'b' standard instead of 'g'. yes, it's technically slower than 'g', but 'b' is still several times faster than your internet connection and uses a different frequency.

this is just an idea. i'm not an expert but if i were troubleshooting my house this is the first thing i'd try after poking around in the d-link set up screen. also, you can check off 'Use Interference Robustness' in the networking preferences.

Kosh
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Concerning the router channels and the "new routers" in the neighborhood, you may want to check what's actually around you by installing iStumbler, which will report those routers within range of your computer. You may actually want to walk around while you have iStumbler running and check out your neighborhood. It reports alot of info, like whether the routers are secured, the channel they are on, etc. Maybe you could find a channel not used and try that channel. I know I've got several routers around my house, but depending on where I am in the house, I can pick up more or less.

Kosh
Mar 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
also, you can check off 'Use Interference Robustness' in the networking preferences.

That option seems to have disappeared off the airport menu in Leopard.