: Seeing Mac partition in Windows XP

Newbie PHM
Mar 6th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Hi,

Not sure whether this is the dumbest question or a challenge ...

I'm running 10.5.2 on a MacBook with a Mac partition and a Windows FAT32 partition with XP installed on it.

When I'm in OSX, the Windows partition shows up as a disk to which I can copy files and from which I can read and write.

However XP tells me I only have a 20G machine (the size of the native Windows partition).

Is there any way I can make the Mac partition visible to XP so, for instance, I can copy a data file to an external PC-formatted hard drive without first copying it to the Windows partition?

Thanks!

silentsim
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Indeed. A Program Called MacDrive is what I use. Unfortunately it is not freeware.
Mediafour | MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/)

Check out the trial though.

Newbie PHM
Mar 6th, 2008, 07:59 PM
That looks cool, silentsim ... no glitches or bugs to report?

Anyone have any alternatives?

JSvo
Mar 6th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Another vote for MacDrive. So far it's been absolutely flawless for me. It doesn't get in your way and just works. Makes it feel like HFS (the Mac file system) is native to Windows.

It's not cheap, but it's worth it.

ChilBear
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Another option is to install XP inside Parallels. I have used Macdrive also, so you have a few options.

JSvo
Mar 6th, 2008, 10:19 PM
It sounds like he's using Boot Camp, so if he wanted to use Parallels or Fusion, all he'd have to do is point either one at his existing Windows partition, and off he goes. So no need to install XP again.

Of course, Parallels and Fusion cost as much, if not more, than MacDrive. But they are options, and no rebooting required!

VMware Fusion Overview, Run Windows on Mac, Virtual PC on Mac - VMware (http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/)
Parallels - Virtualization and Automation Software for Desktops, Servers, Hosting, SaaS (http://www.parallels.com/)

Vexel
Mar 7th, 2008, 06:56 AM
As mentioned, if you're using Bootcamp and just need to access your Mac drive, use MacDrive. It's the best out there. I've used it on a friends computer, it was flawless.

Newbie PHM
Mar 7th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Thank you for the suggestion and evaluation, everyone ...

MacDrive seems to do everything I need.

:clap:

(I do wish that OSX would put a boot disk icon on the toolbar the way Windows does)

Vexel
Mar 7th, 2008, 12:48 PM
How do you mean? If you drag your harddrive to the dock, it's quick access. Is this what you mean? Then, you can set your prefs for the folder to open the way you wish. :)

Newbie PHM
Mar 7th, 2008, 01:35 PM
How do you mean? If you drag your harddrive to the dock, it's quick access. Is this what you mean? Then, you can set your prefs for the folder to open the way you wish. :)

In Windows, the taskbar has a BootCamp icon ... one click, and you're rebooting. But in OSX, I have to open System Preferences, choose the Windows startup disk, confirm restart ... is there a shortcut I'm missing?
Thanks.

HowEver
Mar 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Newbie PHM
Mar 7th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Restart. While restarting, hold down the option key. When prompted, choose OSX.

. . . or Windows.

Cool, thank you!

:clap:

Newbie PHM
Mar 14th, 2008, 08:19 AM
BTW, you can get a $15 discount on MacDrive if you're a student.

Email [email protected] with your institution and studio number; they'll send you a code.

:)