: Refurbished iMac Problem

iheartmac
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:59 PM
My girlfriend just got a refurbished 24" iMac off apple.ca and it was shipped in a timely fashion with no complaints at all. It's an amazing computer but there is a problem with the screen. She's had it for a day or 2 and she just noticed a thin line of distortion that runs across the top of the screen a few inches down. It is almost undetectable against the desktop pic but when you drag a window up near the top you see how it's distorting it across the entire width of the screen.

She's going to phone applecare tomorrow but I'm wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with a refurbished mac(or new)? Will they get her to send it all the way back to California or can one of the apple stores here in Toronto deal with it?

Thanks

fjnmusic
Mar 5th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Have them replace it immediately. The problem will only get worse.

hayesk
Mar 5th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I just got a 24" iMac refurb too - no problems with the screen at all. The iMac should be just as good as a new one - Apple will replace/fix it for you.

monokitty
Mar 6th, 2008, 03:59 AM
They'll either replace the unit entirely or have a local-based Mac shop do the repair. No shipping the unit across the continent.

Oldbob
Mar 6th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Got my 20" refurb last week. So far, so good, just like new. Being under full warranty I'm sure Apple will correct your problem.

Sitting Bull
Mar 6th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Good morning Oldbob,
My 20" imac is 2 weeks old and so far so good . I would get on it right away as well, the sooner the better.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
S.B.

Niagaramark
Mar 6th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Get it looked at ASAP. I just sent a refurb Mac Mini in to my local authorized service folks - needs a new logic board. So far Apple has been great to deal with. This is the first problem I've had with refurb items in 3 years. Love that warranty.

iheartmac
Mar 7th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Update: We took the iMac to the Apple store at Sherway Gardens and because it was a refurbished computer they couldn't swap it out for a new one. They are doing an in-store repair on the LCD. Surprisingly they had another LCD in stock so they didn't have to order one in and that saves us a lot of waiting time. They also mentioned that if we bought ProCare(which also gives you a bunch of other services) for $99.99 then they could rush the repair and since they already had the part in stock it could be done in 24hrs-ish. We're hoping to get a call today so we can pick it up.

So in the end it sucked to get a defective screen and it sucked to have to spend another 100 bux to have it repaired quicker but in the end they were pretty great about it all. They even gave us a 10% off card the next Mac we buy and it never expires so there's no rush. That'll come in handy next time we drop 3 grand at an Apple store.