: Buying Dilemmas and Advice Needed

imeldamac
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Here is my situation. I have a still solid ibook (in sig below) in my office at the university and an intel imac cd (in sig below) in my home office.

I had anticipated getting a new macbook this summer for my univ office under a plan that provides half-funding. At that time, I was going to give my 13 year old the ibook. He has a 6 year old hand me down pc that is sick and dying.

Today my faculty just announced a new computer renewal plan that means that we will get replacement computers fully funded, but only every 5 years. This means that I won't get a new office computer for two more years, but it will be fully funded.

The problem is, I have a son with a sick and dying computer. This computer is not going to last much longer. He is not a big gamer but is an incessant msn, facebook, youtube and itunes user. I really want him to switch to Mac so that we can get away from spyware and malware.

Here are the options:

-- I could get my son a last gen entry level macbook at my bookstore for $949 (just missed a demo version at $749).
-- I could get myself a new gen mid-level white macbook. The new specs are good and education prices is $1249. I would give my son the ibook and when I get a replacement from my univ in 2 years, he could inherit the macbook.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Ottawaman
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Option 2 - He's 13, it's not like he has serious computing needs.

titans88
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Either option is good - it all depends on what kind of investment you want to make up front.

Personally, i'd grab the newer MacBook for yourself and pass it down in a couple years.

Zer0tails
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I vote for option two~:D

feggymango
Mar 5th, 2008, 12:11 AM
In my opinion, get YOUR SON the macbook. It is amazing what a 13 (or 12) year old can and will do with a mac. My son is editing movies, composing entire songs with garageband, recording his own instruments, and writing a screenplay-yes a screenplay and he is only 12

You wont be giving him a computer, you'll be giving them a tool with which they can create endlessly, and that in itself is its own reward. I have to disagree with the second poster, a 13 year old can require alot of computing power. My son is trying to talk me into a mac pro and an apogee duet