: Apple Store Merivale / Hunt Club?

wing
Mar 4th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Co-worker just informed me he saw an apple store that looked nearly ready to open (looked official with a huge apple on the front) Merivale and Hunt-Club (south side).

I searched I found nothing on here which I found odd -- except for the talk of the Carbon Computing on Wellington.

twolf3232
Mar 4th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Co-worker just informed me he saw an apple store that looked nearly ready to open (looked official with a huge apple on the front) Merivale and Hunt-Club (south side).

I searched I found nothing on here which I found odd -- except for the talk of the Carbon Computing on Wellington.

OK. South side of Hunt Club near Merivale. There's the east corner that had that diner that flamed out and has been empty for a few years now (has it actually been torn down yet?) or the west side with the strip mall containing Mobilia, Florida Fitness, The Maytag Store and Multi-Luminaire. There's also an East Side Mario's in it's own building a little further west and closer to Hunt Club.

There is an addition to the strip mall I've seen being built that's going to have a Mexicali Rosa's. Is it going in there? I have a feeling that it's highly unlikely, but I'd love to be wrong. Have Apple Stores gone into strip malls before? I'll have to scout it out this afternoon and report back later (assuming no one gets in before me)

wing
Mar 4th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Yes he said it is in the strip mall with the Mexi's, it's an L-shaped mall he said and he even said it looked like it was close to being opened it was finished on the inside and it looked like they were just stocking the shelves.

hayesk
Mar 4th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Your coworker was pulling your leg.

But come on, think about it. With all the locations do you think Apple would put a store in the back corner of a strip mall in an industrial area of the city?

If Apple came to Ottawa, they'd put their store in the Rideau Center or Byward Market. It definitely wouldn't be anywhere near Merivale Road.

Black
Mar 4th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Your coworker was pulling your leg.

But come on, think about it. With all the locations do you think Apple would put a store in the back corner of a strip mall in an industrial area of the city?

If Apple came to Ottawa, they'd put their store in the Rideau Center or Byward Market. It definitely wouldn't be anywhere near Merivale Road.

Agreed. It's kind of a dump there.

twolf3232
Mar 4th, 2008, 04:20 PM

That location isn't *that* bad, it's not like we're talking Donald and St. Laurent or something. It's just on the edge of an industrial park, not a poor part of the city.

But I do agree, the prestige locations would be Rideau Centre, or the Market. That's why I'm thinking, at best, it's a reseller. I'll find out soon enough.

Ottawaman
Mar 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Tell him East-side's Tomato is not an Apple. ;)

Atroz
Mar 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
There is an addition to the strip mall I've seen being built that's going to have a Mexicali Rosa's. Is it going in there? I have a feeling that it's highly unlikely, but I'd love to be wrong. Have Apple Stores gone into strip malls before? I'll have to scout it out this afternoon and report back later (assuming no one gets in before me)

The Mexi's is open now (as of a week or so back).

I've never seen any sign of an Apple store there, but it is difficult to see what's in there with the giant snow mountain out front.

Would certainly be nice, I drive past it each day. However, I would put the likelihood at about .001% of it being an Apple store. There used to be a CompuSmart with a fair bit of Apple stuff just a block away, but it folded.

Jarooda
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:21 PM
There was a B.Mac store there a few years ago

But its been closed for a long time

Atroz
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:37 PM

That was a couple KM north on Merivale. Merivale is a pain to drive on and that may have kept some people way from B.Mac. The Merivale and Huntclub area has been under massive development for the last few years and is really getting filled in. Hopefully it doesn't become a driving issue too.

SoyMac
Mar 4th, 2008, 07:42 PM

B.Mac was on a central, very busy part of Merival, and its (past) location would actually have made more sense for an Apple store than Merivale and Hunt Club.

I too, think an Apple store would go into a high-traffic area, with lots of walk-by, like the Rideau Centre, or the Byward Market.

Remember when there was a rumour that an Apple store was coming to Mechanicsville?! *Hee hee hee!* :)

rondini
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I call shenanigans!

(( p g ))
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I call BS as well. At this point, any retailer that sets up shop on that traffic clogged stretch of industrial land is on crack.

*If* Apple is ever coming to ZeroTown...and that's a big IF...it won't be on Merivale at HC.

rondini
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I agree with previous poster re: likely places for Apple store in Ottawa. Rideau Centre, or Byward area would seem more likely, maybe Sparks St.
My own vote would go to Sparks, having seen the store in Biltmore/Phoenix last week.

(( p g ))
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I agree with previous poster re: likely places for Apple store in Ottawa. Rideau Centre, or Byward area would seem more likely, maybe Sparks St.
My own vote would go to Sparks, having seen the store in Biltmore/Phoenix last week.

Rideau Centre, yes. Sparks Street, no. Apple would never stand for the NCC's laughable mismanagement of the property. Not to mention the regulations and red tape.

smashedbanana
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I stopped by on my way back from a movie. There is in fact a giant apple logo in the window of the store directly behind Mexi's. However it is an Apple Authorized retailer banner.

There is Henry's Photo going in there.

I win..

Ed

titans88
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
You beat me too it! I was just about to confirm it is a Henry's.

gmark2000
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Apple Stores are typically located in high-end fashion malls (with Prada moms driving luxury SUVs). Rideau ain't that.

rondini
Mar 5th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I guess that rules out St. Laurent? Billings Bridge? Bayshore?

Buehler???

anyone?

a7mc
Mar 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I stopped by on my way back from a movie. There is in fact a giant apple logo in the window of the store directly behind Mexi's. However it is an Apple Authorized retailer banner.

There is Henry's Photo going in there.

I win..

Ed

Anyone know if it's a "real" Henry's, or a little baby Henry's like in Orleans? The one in Toronto is amazing, but last time I went to the one in Orleans, I was sadly disappointed (it's about 1/20th the size... no kidding). Since I'll be moving back to Ottawa in a few months, what is the equivalent of Toronto's huge Henry's/Vistek in Ottawa?

A7