Mar 4th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I see this very often:

Refurbished Mac mini, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB memory
80GB hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 memory
Price: 529$CAD

This is the previous gen Mac Mini, low base memory (need upgrade) SuperDrive (not very useful for what I want to do with it).

Is it really a good deal on that machine? I personally would prefer to see it un 500$ (kinda 450$), but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for comments.

monokitty
Mar 4th, 2008, 10:19 AM
It's a good deal. :)

fyrefly
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:10 AM
It's a good deal - if you want cheaper, there is the 1.66Ghz CD model that appears for $469 every once in a while. It only has a Combo Drive, but you seem to indicate that you don't need the DVD Burner?

Refurbished Mac mini, 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB memory
60GB hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2

You gotta check early in the AM. :D

Fox
Mar 4th, 2008, 02:00 PM
$539 is what I paid for a 1.83ghz C2D refurb. Personally, I would rather have the faster processor than a superdrive.

Lawrence
Mar 4th, 2008, 02:21 PM
It's an excellent deal, I bought the Intel Mac Mini and it came with 1 gb of ram,
Even though the refurbished listing listed it as having only 512 mb of ram.

Didn't matter though because I promptly had it upgraded to 2 gb of ram.
I use it as my main Internet computer and have Windows XP SP2 running on it.

You can always upgrade the processor at a later date.

Link #1 (http://www.o0o.it/mini/)

Link #2 (http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/mac_mini_core_2_duo_swaps.html)

(I'm not responsible for the knowledge obtained in the links, Use at your own risk)

Dave :)

krs
Mar 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I see this very often:

Refurbished Mac mini, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
512MB memory
80GB hard drive
SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVDRW/CD-RW)
Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 memory
Price: 529$CAD

This is the previous gen Mac Mini, low base memory (need upgrade) SuperDrive (not very useful for what I want to do with it).

Is it really a good deal on that machine? I personally would prefer to see it un 500$ (kinda 450$), but maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for comments.

I don't think it;s a good deal at all if you need a printer and no DVD burner.

For $649.- and up to a $129.- printer rebate you get a dual core Mini (vs a single core which this is) with 1 GB of RAM guaranteed.
With the refurb you might get 1 GB of RAM, but no guarantees, so you may have to spend more money to upgrade the RAM.

Niagaramark
Mar 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I've bought 3 refurb 1.83 GHz C2Duos @ $539 each (setting up friends and family). I'd spend the extra $10 for the C2Duo over the superdrive. I also rec's the $129 printer rebate. I personally don't feel the need for the DVD burner as you can now share DVD or CD drives under leopard 10.5.2 or you can pick-up an external DVD burner for $55 if you don't have another mac to share the drive from.

j3tang
Mar 4th, 2008, 03:08 PM
$539 is what I paid for a 1.83ghz C2D refurb. Personally, I would rather have the faster processor than a superdrive.

I second that. I bought mine last year around October .. $539 with C2D is much better than the $529 with DVD writer.

meall
Mar 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I second that. I bought mine last year around October .. $539 with C2D is much better than the $529 with DVD writer.

I entirely agree on this. But those days, I don't see them quite often. Maybe one day! For the burner, I already have my iMac and PowerBook which have one, so that's enough. Specially considering that I do burn DVD less and less often those days (2-3 times a year for special projects).

meall
Mar 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM
I've bought 3 refurb 1.83 GHz C2Duos @ $539 each (setting up friends and family). I'd spend the extra $10 for the C2Duo over the superdrive. I also rec's the $129 printer rebate. I personally don't feel the need for the DVD burner as you can now share DVD or CD drives under leopard 10.5.2 or you can pick-up an external DVD burner for $55 if you don't have another mac to share the drive from.

I just ordered the C2D mini combo from the refurb.

But how do you get the 129$ rebate?

EDIT: just saw it, I need to order it at the same time. So I cancelled, and reordered with the Canon IP4500. No need for all in ones, but need for CD/DVD printing. In case my actual Epson R220 quit me, that will be a good backup I suppose ;)

Niagaramark
Mar 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
You need to order a printer at the same time as your computer (same invoice). There is a rebate form on the Apple site. Download and submit it along with UPC codes from printer and computer boxes.

mhj
Mar 8th, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi there from a Mac Newbie! Im looking into getting into the Mac World and Im considering purchasing a refurbished 1.83 GHz C2D @ $539. Im in no hurry to buy yet and Ive heard recent rumors of an update for the Mac Mini and iMac
(Penryn iMac and Mac Mini Updates Soon? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=449667))

So since Im not looking to buy new, I was wondering if I should buy the refurb mac mini now or wait until they get a possible update in the next few weeks/summer and buy then (possible for more price drop on the refurbs maybe)?

Thanks for any advice,
mhj:)