: Eeek! a hideous hardware problem!

stephaniemac
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM
I am a writer based in Vancouver, and I've had a Mac since about 1991 (not the same one of course) and I've never had a horrible problem like this - does anyone know anyone with hardware fixing talents?

I have a new MacBook that I got in September, that died last week (stopped turning on for no reason - there was an "x" in the battery symbol). I took it in to Simply Computing and they told me it had water damage so the warranty is void (absolutely no clue how this could have happened, it's never been near water), and now they say that they can clean it for $160 but that might not fix it and I might need some new logic board or something that costs basically as much as the computer is worth (like, $1000). I don't know what to do! Is there a way to get a used board? Can anyone besides Simply Computing fix a problem like this? I'd much rather give anyone else the money than them, they've been very unhelpful.

I can forward anyone interested the email, they guy there took pictures of the problem. I will be so thankful to anyone who can help me!

monokitty
Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:16 PM
If you're certain you haven't abused the computer (i.e; spilled water on to the unit), then take it elsewhere and have it repaired under warranty. Sounds like the dealer might be pulling a fast one on you. As an Apple technician, you can forward me the photos if you wish (send me a PM).

chas_m
Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'm completely with Lars on this one. There are an abundance of good Mac dealers in your area. Definitely get a second opinion at a place like Mac Station (http://www.macstation.com/retailstores/).

Gerbill
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Simply Computing is generally a pretty good place. If they say it's got water damage, I'd tend to believe it. Never hurts to get a second opinion, though.

SoyMac
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm not arguing either way about whether or not the repair tech is correct about the water damage, but it got me to thinking,
"How does a computer get water damage when the owner is sure the machine has never been near water?"
And then I wondered if you have a cat, a bad cat, that may have decided it needs to spray it's territory (your computer) every once in a while. :mad:

Got a cat?

krs
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:29 PM
I was wondering about the same thing.
Identifying water damage in elecronic equipment is not that hard if you have it in front of you - probably a lot harder to tell, if at all, from a photograph.
But if it was a cat spraying you would smell a very distinct odor. I had a cat spray in my house once and boy, you couldn't mistake that for anything else.

stephaniemac
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Well I don't have a cat, but I do have a 3-yr-old. He is kinda evil sometimes, but I never leave the computer around him. If this IS water damage, is it game over for my poor computer? I can't belive I'll be paying $70 a month for the next 2 years for something in the garbage. Waaaaa!

monokitty
Mar 4th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Get a second opinion. I cannot stress this point enough. :)