: CD Burner challenge

joyanne
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
I am having trouble suddenly burning CD's and the only thing that I changed was the brand of disks. I am using Phillips and I was using Memorex or Maxell. It seems to work on some of the disks, but then on the next one it starts to rev up noisily and after a minute or so it finishes and then says that it can't burn the disk either because there is a medium writing error or the devise won't work. I have blown 6 disks out of 11. Could it be the brand?

Adrian.
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:07 PM
take them back, they probabaly cannot retain the data burned on or something.

krs
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Could it be the brand?

More likely the batch if it is a disk problem.

I bought a 100 Philips DVD-Rs, burned about 75 of them on two different burners with not a single coaster,

phuviano
Mar 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I find apple's optical drives to be rather picky when it comes to media. I'm not sure what system you are running, but when I had a mac mini, it would only burn certain brands of cd's. Good thing I had an external burner which burned everything. I say just stick to the brand that works.

chas_m
Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
The most likely explanation here is either:

a. the package of Philips you picked up were warped in shipping. This would explain the noise.

b. that particular batch are defective. This sometimes happens to every manufacturer, not a huge deal, just return them.

joyanne
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks for explaining the noise. I was worried that it might have ruined the burner. I'll get some new CD's tomorrow.