: macbook vs G4 powerbook question

stanm5
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hi,
New here and hoping to find some answers.
I'm looking for a mac laptop for my son. He's in high school studying screen arts (film making, editing, etc...). All work at school is done on Mac but he's still using a pc at home.
I was just offered a G4 powerbook with the following specs for $575 what do you think? My first though is that it seems to need more ram. Is it 1gb ram max? Also, what would be the cost of that upgrade?

Option 2 would be a used relatively new macbook. There seem to be a few in the $700 range available.

G4 specs;
Apple PowerBook G4 w/ Tiger and other extra software. Also comes with brand new battery and screen. Computer looks and works great. Comes in original box.

1GHz Power Pc G4 Processor; 1 MB level 3 Cache
512 MB of PC133 SDRAM; supports up to 1GB
60GB Hard drive
15.2 inch active-matrix TFT color display
64MB of DDR SDRAM video memory
Slot-loading SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
PC Card/CardBus slot; Firewire; Audio-in; Headphone line-out; Two USB ports
DVI and S-Video Output ports; DVI to VGA
Built-in 10/100/1000 BASE-T Ethernet
Built-in Airport Card for wireless networking

Thanks in advance.
Stan

bmovie
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
Get the new Macbooks (intel chip) PowerPC chipset will become obsolete soon, more support for the intel

screature
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Get the new Macbooks (intel chip) PowerPC chipset will become obsolete soon, more support for the intel

Absolutely agree, especially considering your son's field of study, he will need all the horse power he can get if he plans to do any draft editing or anything like that.

Don't bother with the G4, he would need to be replacing it sooner than later and it would just end up being a waste of money in the end. Better to spend the money up front and get him a computer that he will be able to make use of for a longer period of time.

stanm5
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll look for a macbook.

Cheers,
Stan