: New MBP warped case and lid

Oreamnos
Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering if I am over reacting or should I take my new Mackbook Pro back to Apple (I just purchased on Friday).

I noticed that the panel that surrounds the keyboard is slightly warped near the left speaker.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/7083/p1250129mk3.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1250129mk3.jpg)

Also, after searching for others having the same problem, I noticed that warped lids were a big issue. So i checked my lid and sure enough, it has a very slight warp. When the lid is closed, the right side closes less than the left side.

I think I can live with the lid issue but the case/panel is very bothersome.

What should I do?

Try to get it replaced?
Try to get it repaired?
Chill out?

Thanks,
Eric

titans88
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
For the money you spent on the MBP, I would most definitely return it and have it replaced. Since you just purchased your MBP, I don't see a return being an issue at the Apple Store.

Macinguelph
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
For the money you spent on the MBP, I would most definitely return it and have it replaced. Since you just purchased your MBP, I don't see a return being an issue at the Apple Store.

I second that. I've heard of the lid issue from other posters on this site - unacceptable in my eyes, but according to Apple it is normal. The warped case by the keyboard and speaker on the other hand is not normal. You paid good money for a high quality laptop. This example is not a high quality laptop!

MacDoc
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:09 AM
The lid is a non issue - the case IS an issue.

Oreamnos
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the quick replies!!!

You've made me feel justified in my concerns. I'll be returning it to the Apple store this afternoon.

Eric

Zer0tails
Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
I have a slight lid issue like you and bought mine on Friday as well haha. But the warped speaker definitely should be replaced. Good luck and let us know how it goes :)

Oreamnos
Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I just got back from the Apple store. They replaced it, no questions asked and with a smile. :)

Thanks,
Eric

Zer0tails
Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:34 PM
I just got back from the Apple store. They replaced it, no questions asked and with a smile. :)

Thanks,
Eric

congrats! How's the new one? Is the lid flushed?

titans88
Mar 2nd, 2008, 03:39 PM

Thanks,
Eric

Excellent! Enjoy.

csonni
Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:49 PM
You almost make me wish something would go wrong with my MacBook so I could get it replaced.

monokitty
Mar 2nd, 2008, 04:54 PM
You almost make me wish something would go wrong with my MacBook so I could get it replaced.

Your MacBook wouldn't be replaced if something went wrong with it unless you bought it less than a week ago. So don't feel bad. ;)

Atroz
Mar 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I have a slight lid issue like you and bought mine on Friday as well

My Powerbook came with a warp lid as well where one side closed more than the other. A slight twist by hand corrected it for me. 2.5 years later and about 3000 openings of the lid and it is still running fine. Of course if you try your own corrective action, you are assuming the responsibility for any damage.