: iPod future shop warranty?

Adrian.
Mar 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
So my 30 gb video crapped out and I sent it to futureshop to get repaired with my 3 year warranty. I know that if it takes more than 60 days or 3 repairs or the repair is too costly to warrant it, they will replace your unit.

My question is: Is it 60 business days or 60 calendar days?

I am on day 50 of calendar days or about 32 of business days. Is that any indication that they are just going to replace it as the repair is taking too long.

The HD went and the logic board was on the fritz.

thanks

fjnmusic
Mar 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM
Jeez. Who's doing the repairs? Surely not the Future Shop wizards. I took my AppleTV to WestWorld (an actual licesnsed Apple reseller) and had a replacement within a week. Turned out (as I discovered later) I had just forgotten my own password, but Apple replaced the unit, no questions asked. I'd be asking Future Shop what's the holdup.

HowEver
Mar 1st, 2008, 11:55 PM

Adrian.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 12:27 AM
I have never insisted it be replaced. I was hoping it would take more than 60 days because there is quite a lot wrong with it or they would realize it needed a lot of work and just give me a replacement. I know it is policy that if the process takes longer than 60 days they will give you a new one but I do not know if it is business or calendar days. Anyone know?

What I want to happen is to get a replacement and just upgrade to a 16 touch.

20DDan
Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:57 AM
I've gone through 3 different iPod's with Futureshop and by the sound of it to wait 50 days is a totally unacceptable amount of time! I was told by futureshop that if it's within the first year they will send it directly to Apple for repairs but afterwards they generally do exchanges for the newest unit of similar specs. They repaired my iPod 3 times, none of the repair times took longer than 20days. I don't know how else to say it but be pushy with them! Everytime I purchased items in the hundreds of dollars I was sooo glad I had the extra warranty, my original 8x CD-RW Drive replaced a few times for free under their warranty. Don't let them take advantage of your patience... in 50 days you could have learned yourself how to replace parts for the iPod & done it about 10 times. Demand answers, talk to managers, supervisors, if they don't have answers tell them you want someone with answers, don't accept "it's out of my control answers" they have it in their authority to simply give you a brand new unit right then and there if you push them enough.

Adrian.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Ok...so if I go and make a fuss they will replace it then right?

ender78
Mar 2nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
Ok...so if I go and make a fuss they will replace it then right?

Just as long as "making a fuss" does not lead to you getting thrown out of the store:) Never be insulting of belligerent, store staff know how to treat those type of customers. Just tell them how much faith you had in the and that it is all gone now. If they have not fixed and returned the unit to you by now, they should be able to get you a new one. If it goes more than 60 days, INSIST on a brand new unti [getting a touch may be out of the question and its a completely different model from what you purchased, offer to pay the difference if necessary]

Adrian.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 01:58 PM
yes I would pay the difference. Wouldn't they want to sell me a touch. Higher figures for their particular branch?

20DDan
Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM
Just as long as "making a fuss" does not lead to you getting thrown out of the store:) Never be insulting of belligerent, store staff know how to treat those type of customers. Just tell them how much faith you had in the and that it is all gone now. If they have not fixed and returned the unit to you by now, they should be able to get you a new one. If it goes more than 60 days, INSIST on a brand new unti [getting a touch may be out of the question and its a completely different model from what you purchased, offer to pay the difference if necessary]

I've never tried an upgrade with an iPod at futureshop but in the past I managed to talk them into letting me upgrade my old MiniDisc Player after a few defective units. I just paid the difference and got a brand new higher model. I was happy n still have it to this day :D I'm sure they would do similar things with iPods but I doubt they'd do it after only the first repair service. I also got the in-ear iPod headphones for free after having 2 defective sets. Again.. it's all about how you talk to them n I didn't mean make a fuss... you don't want them to get angry with you b/c they will lock up and your out of luck. Use your smooth talking side;)

staples57
Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:18 PM
The safer assumption is that Future Shop will simply abide by their warranty.
Making a fuss will only make them dig their heels in and then you'll get nowhere.

Why not simply buy a new iPod & extended warranty from the Apple Store and then sell your old iPod once Future Shop fixes it.
...or the reverse

If you're not satisfied with Future Shop now, why would you expect that things would change if you got another iPod from them?

Cut your losses, learn from this experience and buy directly from an Apple Store.

Adrian.
Mar 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
The safer assumption is that Future Shop will simply abide by their warranty.
Making a fuss will only make them dig their heels in and then you'll get nowhere.

Why not simply buy a new iPod & extended warranty from the Apple Store and then sell your old iPod once Future Shop fixes it.
...or the reverse

If you're not satisfied with Future Shop now, why would you expect that things would change if you got another iPod from them?

Cut your losses, learn from this experience and buy directly from an Apple Store.

I bought that iPod for 399.99 about 1.5 years ago. It has served me well. I want an iPod touch. It broke down at the beginning of Jan. So I want somehow get futureshop to give me a replacement and I will just pay the diff. and get a 16 gb touch. I am not loosing my initial investment at all. I am getting a 500 dollar device for 100.00 more.

If I sell privately I will have to price according to depreciation. Which, is huge. I would get about 150.00 bucks for it...maybe. If I can get a replacement through future shop I have to undergo no loss by depreciation.

I have no problem with futureshop. Their warranty has been excellent for me. New set of earbuds every 2-3 months. Excellent deal.