Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Please Help With I-Phone

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  champcar 
#1 ·
I am trying to help with my brother in law's phone. It is 1.1.1 with bootloader #3A109a. To the best of my knowledge the phone is jailbroken as i can use Safari and Y-Yube and weather works. The problem is when i try to put another sim in it say's incorrect sim. I do not know what else has been done to this phone and am afraid to proceed any further untill i get some advice.I have my phone at our location ( Grand Cayman ) and am able to use any of three sim cards without a problem. Any help in what to do next would be appreciated. Thank You. I am assuming that the phone is just activated and not unlocked. If so what would be the next step.

Thank You

#4 ·
I upgraded a 1.0.2 phone to 1.1.4 and used ZiPhone 2.5 MacOS X version to activate, jailbreak and unlock. No problems. Works with a Rogers SIM card.

I haven't tested it extensively to see if there were problems with 3rd party apps yet. But I haven't heard of many problems with this latest firmware upgrade.

So for your iPhone, go ahead and upgrade to 1.1.4 and then use ZiPhone to Unlock. ziphone.org

#5 ·
Was it an unlocked 1.0.2 phone, and if so did you have to virginize it first? I have an unlocked 1.0.2 and now I want to upgrade - I did the original unlock with the instructions from iunlock.no way back in September. The iunlock.no site only seems to have instructions for viginizing 1.1.1 phones, not 1.0.2. Is there an old site around that still has instructions for 1.0.2 virginizing, or is it the same process/files?

#6 ·
My iPhone was unlocked with AnySim, firmware 1.0.2 originally. I updated to 1.1.2 and used the info on iphone.unlock.no for that. I believe I did "virginize" the iPhone for that upgrade. The new one step process by ziphone avoids this step.

I then updated the iPhone to 1.1.3 and used ziphone to activate/jailbreak/unlock.

I then restored the iPhone with 1.1.4 to clear the iPhone because I'm giving it to someone else (have a 16 Gb iPhone now). I used ziphone 2.5 to activate/jailbreak/unlock and it is working with a Rogers SIM.

#10 ·
... The new one step process by ziphone avoids this step.
If I read this right, I can just run ziphone now, without first virginizing my unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone? Just to be clear, the modem firmware is 03.14.08_G, which was changed as part of the original 1.0.2 unlock, and which was the reason for virginizing up to now. The firmware had to be reset to the original version. Or am I confused?

Thanks - if this is true, I'll be 113 by Sunday night (assuming nothing goes wrong).

#7 ·
Thanx billwong. You just completely sent me for a spin. I think i am just going to bring this phone back to Canada and have someone do this. This is getting to technical for me. Can i just not proceed from where i am which is activated but not unlocked ??

Thanx

#8 ·
Thanx billwong. You just completely sent me for a spin. I think i am just going to bring this phone back to Canada and have someone do this. This is getting to technical for me. Can i just not proceed from where i am which is activated but not unlocked ??
Since we're not there, the best advice we can offer is what billwong suggested. It's not complicated.

1. Using iTunes, restore the iPhone to whatever your iTunes has as the latest software for it.

2. Using ZiPhone 2.5, jailbreak and unlock it.

Where's the technical part?

#11 ·
My last post was referring mostly to Ace McDuck's query about upgrading a 1.0.2 iPhone.

For your 1.1.1 iPhone, the best thing to do is what Chas, itaca, and I have posted.

Restore (not upgrade) the iPhone to 1.1.4 with iTunes. Then use ziphone 2.5 to activate/jailbreak/unlock the phone and you should be able to use any GSM SIM card with it.

Restoring the iPhone will avoid potential problems with 3rd party apps that may have been loaded on the iPhone earlier. Zibri from ziphone.org thinks restoring the firmware (as opposed to upgrading) may prevent some problems with the WiFi after unlocking the 1.1.4 firmware.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.