: Suggest fair pricing...

Macified
Feb 29th, 2008, 09:22 AM
We just did a round of computer upgrades at our house and have a couple of computers we might want to get rid of. One of my sons might be getting the PowerBook and I have other family members who can take the iBook but we have some friends asking how much. Can you guys suggest some appropriate pricing on these...

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 768MB RAM, 160GB HD, SuperDrive.

12" iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo Drive (I have swapped the LCD on this one myself as the screen was smashed bus incident).

I think I have the RAM specs right but I will update the post when I check them out again.

johnb1
Mar 1st, 2008, 02:11 PM
again, I dunno, I'm working with my mom's old(er) PB G5 15" Alum which has roughly the same specs (80 gig HD, tho') so around $900 is the best you may do, as for the ibook, I dunno, maybe $300, alas all this stuff has not a great resale value

J B

screature
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
again, I dunno, I'm working with my mom's old(er) PB G5 15" Alum which has roughly the same specs (80 gig HD, tho') so around $900 is the best you may do, as for the ibook, I dunno, maybe $300, alas all this stuff has not a great resale value

J B

You sure about the G5 PB. I don't think any G5 PB were ever made because of heat issues. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure.

screature
Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
We just did a round of computer upgrades at our house and have a couple of computers we might want to get rid of. One of my sons might be getting the PowerBook and I have other family members who can take the iBook but we have some friends asking how much. Can you guys suggest some appropriate pricing on these...

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz 768MB RAM, 160GB HD, SuperDrive.

12" iBook G4 1.2GHz 512MB RAM, 80GB HD, Combo Drive (I have swapped the LCD on this one myself as the screen was smashed bus incident).

I think I have the RAM specs right but I will update the post when I check them out again.

What kind of cosmetic condition are they in? What level of use, i.e. heavy, light? These kind of issues should figure into your pricing, because a potential buyer will want to know and could affect the negotiations.

screature
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:00 PM

J B

Yeah as I suspected, I just did some Mac history research, there was never a G5 Powerbook, so the best your Mom could have would be a G4 PB.

HowEver
Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:02 PM

jlcinc
Mar 3rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's interesting that the Powerbooks are holding on to fairly high prices when the new Macbooks are starting to list used for as little as $750.

https://www.ehmac.ca/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=292

John

chas_m
Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:36 PM
As HowEver said, $500 for the iBook if it's in perfect running order and condition, has all its accessories etc.

I would be a little leery of mentioning that you replaced the screen yourself unless you did such a good job that absolutely nobody could ever tell.

Macified
Mar 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM
The PowerBook is 15" and has a couple of minor dents on the hinge cover. Upgraded HD to 160HD (by certified Apple Tech). Other than that, typical use shows but I do take good care of my stuff. Battery was replaced under the recall so is not as old as the system itself. Has the VGA adapter, full CD set and power supply (maybe two).

iBook is cosmetically rougher as my kids were the primary users. I am up front about having replaced the screen myself so that there are no messed up expectations. As for accessories I have a couple of power supplies, S-Video/RCA adapter, VGA adapter, 3 batteries, an Apple branded sleeve case, full CD set and could throw in an iMic adapter as well.

GlassOnion
Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
I recently sold:

-PowerBook 12", 1.5GHz processor, 80gigs HD, 1.25gigs ram, superdrive for $700
-PowerBook 12", 1.33GHz processor, 40gigs HD, 1.25gigs ram, combo for $650
-2 X iBooks 12", 1.25GHz, 60 gigs HD, 1.25 gigs ram, combo, bag for $600 each
-iBooks 12", 1.07GHz, 40 gigs HD, 768 megs ram, combo, bag for $525
-Pismo 500MHz, 60 gigs HD, 1 gig ram, combo drive for $350
All sold locally except the Pismo that was sold to a member here.

HowEver
Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:22 PM

chas_m
Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:00 PM
LOL!

Actually I meant the exact opposite of what I wrote, oddly enough. He *should* mention that he replaced the screen himself, as that will affect the offer. I meant to say buyers might be leery of buying a machine where the screen has been replaced owing to an accident. Don't know why that didn't come out of my fingers that way. :)