Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Shipping question for MacBook bought on Apple.ca

3K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  carleymarie 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought a MacBook from Apple.ca on the 27th. The FedEx tracking page says that I should receive it today before noon, but this is what I see on the tracking details:

I don't understand why it would go from California to Manitoba back to Tenesse? I live in Toronto. Will I get my package today?

I called Apple and they said to call FedEx. I called FedEx and couldn't get through to a live person to talk to.

I couldn't sleep all night because I was excited about getting my MacBook. I wasn't going to go to work today just so I could wait for it to arrive but my wife sent me off to work :ptptptptp

Has anyone seen this kind of shipping before?

See less See more
#4 ·
I've seen that before. My searching turned up speculation that it was paperwork to pre-clear customs for the parcel that goes to Manitoba but I never came up with anything definitive. I guess I could have called the shipping company but I really don't have much confidence in callcenters.

#5 ·
I ended up calling FedEx and talking to a CSR. She basically read what I posted, it's still in Tennesse...the Manitoba part is their processing center or something where US shipments are sent to to be distributed to Canada. It never actually went to Manitoba - it's just there to give you false hopes :(

I don't think I'll be seeing my MacBook today by noon :(

#9 ·
I know it's hard waiting, doing so myself right now. Once FedEx gets it in their hands you'll have it shortly, even if it has to go around the world twice. When you stop and think about it, their operation is amazing.

#8 ·
My MBP went from California to Detroit then to Seattle then to Ancorage, Alaska then to Toronto. It depends on the route that Fed Ex is taking.

#10 ·
The shipping definitely messed with my head when I ordered my Macbook November.

My package ended up coming late, but Apple refunded my shipping costs.

It was totally worth it though!

#14 ·
I have a feeling it will be :)

I've even ordered a sleeve, and trackpad covers and bought that plastic book covering stuff to cover the surfaces. My wife says that I'm more excited about the MacBook than I was when we had a kid.

#16 ·
I think I may order a whole new keyboard/trackpad for my MacBook. I didn't take care of it properly from the get go, and I sincerely regret it.

#19 ·
#21 ·
Strange that it would come from China and not California.
Not really. Most Macbooks are built in China and Apple generally ships them straight from China.

#22 ·
Yeah, I don't know why mine shipped from CA, I would have thought that it would ship from China.

FedEx said that the plane that my shipment was on experienced a mechanical failure in Tennessee so that's why it's delayed.

I just want my notebook, I'm tired of looking at pictures of other happy people and their MacBooks. I want my slice!

In my conversations with the CSR's over at FedEx, Apple gathers all the shipments that are bound for the Northern States/Canada and loads them into massive skids which are then shipped to somewhere and then the skids get broken down and shipped to their local depots which then forward it to the destination. She was saying that before major product launches, FedEx keeps entire planes just for Apple shipments. That's a lot of Apples.

#23 ·
Yeah, I don't know why mine shipped from CA, I would have thought that it would ship from China.
Not sure. Apple used to have a plant in California, but I couldn't find out if it moved to southern California, as rumored, or if it's still open. The other idea is that Apple keeps a small inventory in California. But most Macs are now built in China, except for some of the European ones which are built in Ireland.

#26 ·
Friends,

I am now posting this from my brand spanking new MacBook. I can't believe how cool this thing is. I love the keyboard, it's clacky, and will take some getting used to, but I love it. I love the little details that Apple puts into their things, the little clippy thing on the power chord, the magnetic power plug is so freaking cool, I didn't think it would be, but it is. I must have played with it for 5 minutes before I started poking and prodding different things.

Safari looks great in OS X, way better than Safari on Windows XP. It's weird though, it doesn't have any edges or boundaries on the left and bottom sides! When I close the lid and open it again, wireless is instantly on, I don't have to wait for a while for it to connect again. It's pretty silent as a whole, but I can hear the fans come on from time to time and it's feeling a little toasty, but it's okay.

I can't seem to find iWork '08, do I have to download it? How do I name it? I don't know what it's called :(

I love this freaking thing. I can't believe I didn't switch earlier. Those people who say that Macs are overpriced I now know have never used OS X otherwise they wouldn't be saying that. OS X is worth the price difference. I don't think i'll ever buy a Wintel box ever again. My days of browsing the Dell site for laptops are done.

Again, I'd like to re-iterate how much I love this thing.

Thank you all. Oh and two finger scrolling is awesome! No more mistaken clicks on links. I freaking love this thing.

#27 ·
Friends,

I can't seem to find iWork '08, do I have to download it? How do I name it? I don't know what it's called :(

I love this freaking thing. I can't believe I didn't switch earlier. Those people who say that Macs are overpriced I now know have never used OS X otherwise they wouldn't be saying that. OS X is worth the price difference. I don't think i'll ever buy a Wintel box ever again. My days of browsing the Dell site for laptops are done.
Congratulations on your new purchase and the eye opening experience.

You should find iWork '08 in your Applications folder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.