: Powerbook G4 Alum-not doing so good

johnb1
Feb 29th, 2008, 07:16 AM
okay, I've been working on my mom's old(er) 15" PB G4 aluminum and I can't get it to even get to the desktop. All I get is that spinning cog. I've run Diskwarrior and Tech Tool Pro on it--nothing at all. I could try running Disk First aid on it from the Restore dvd, but right now, I think I'm up the "el creeko de caca" if you know what I mean
I've taken out the battery about 3 times to get it to reboot, tried resetting the PMU,zapping the PRAM----doodly squat. Ran the Apple Hardware Test on it-passed ok. I'm thinking it's something really esoteric and strange not often seen here

any thoughts?

Methinks a sale is in this one's future

J B

Mississauga
Feb 29th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Maybe the drive is so full, it won't boot? If you have another Mac handy, try Target Disk Mode to check the content.

Orion
Feb 29th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Hmm. Try a Safe Mode boot (hold Shift when booting; just until you see the cog start up). It may take a while (as much as 10 mins?) to boot.

If that doesn't go anywhere, try holding Command-S immediately after startup. This *should* boot into single-user mode. When there (hopefully it gets that far) at the command prompt type:

fsck -fy

This is the same thing as booting from the restore CD and checking the disk. Hopefully one of these will help.

Puccasaurus
Feb 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Might be as easy (!) as a hard drive replacement? Mine started doing the same things just before it failed (a 12" AlBook). Bought a new hard drive and I'm installing it this weekend :)

johnb1
Feb 29th, 2008, 06:30 PM
It lives !!
rather than trying to fix stuff with techtool pro, since nothing important was on there anyways, I just said "forget it" and did an erase and reinstall...now working on 10.3
10.4 a little later then straight to 10.5 -I hope *fingers crossed*

I tried that fsck thing and it did something, but what I can't say-I let it run for about 8 minutes before a re-start. It's not a bad little machine, but I think what messed it up for my mom was that whole USB problem with 10.4.11, plus she had a crappy usb port, which meant double the aggravation ( I think it was an iogear, anyways, they released an updated model which fixed the problem, don't know what it was)

anyways, as usual, it's down to me to fix this one, so I'll do what I can

so far so good
J B

johnb1
Mar 1st, 2008, 01:02 PM
well, I did a nuke and pave, and got it up to 10.4.9... one problem though
it boots slowly, about a minute to get up and going. I know this an older machine, and it has had its share of problems, but a minute? other than that, okay. I also
think there might be a problem with the ram slots. System profiler sez there's 768 meg of ram in there, and I thought I put in 2 512 sodimm's.. last year, when my mom bought the ram, and "updated" to 10.4.11 was disaster city....I'm kinda stuck here for the weekend, I don't know what did it, 10.4.11 or bad ram, or a bad ram slot. I think it was a tag-team effort. So my mom went out and got a MacBook Pro, after she'd spent however much on this little darlin'. I mean, the new machine is dandy and all that, but buying a new laptop after you've had this one for 2 years? Donald trump, we aren't...a bit extreme, no?
I'll probably be calling apple on monday. is there anyway to test for a bad ram slot/bad ram...I ran apple hardware test on this little beastie yesterday, or day before and everything was fine, so......

JB