: How does iPhone/iPod Touch handle in this bitter cold?

corey111
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Just curious, does the phone still work when it's -30 out?
Anybody brave enough to take their (insert fav cartoon character) Mittens off to take a call?

johnnyspade
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
It's funny you mention this. I actually left my Touch plugged into my dash last night (I'm in rural Nova Scotia ... no crime here) and it was absolutely freezing when I touched it this morning. Thankfully I don't need to hold it very long.

nick24
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:03 PM
It's not just the iPhone or iPod Touch that are prone to issues caused by the cold. My 5th gen iPod hates the hold and in this weather I have to carry it close to my body to ensure that my body heat keeps it warm, or the battery life drops considerably. I have also noticed that menu transitions are slower and jerkier. A friend with a new nano has seen this too.

corey111
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:30 PM
does the touch screen still work?

johnnyspade
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I had no problems this morning with how it was functioning. I think it only dropped to about -5 last night though. -30 could be worse.

chas_m
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:15 PM
does the touch screen still work?

Yes, but you have to take the gloves/mittens off! Brrrrr!

:)

amoda
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:25 PM
From Apple's website:

Environmental requirements
Operating temperature: 32 to 95 F (0 to 35 C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4 to 113 F (-20 to 45 C)

So...I guess the answer should be no? It can be stored in -20 degree weather but it wouldn't be "operational" I guess.

psxp
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
..and thats the real reason you wont see the iPhone in Canada

;) ;) ;)

JumboJones
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I've seen my mother in law use one so I think it could handle our winters ;)

corey111
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
..and thats the real reason you wont see the iPhone in Canada

;) ;) ;)

That was the exact thought I had this morning when I got into my car, My car barely started, so I was wondering if maybe the REAL reason the iPhone isn't in ehMac territory is due to our harsh cold winters....

John Clay
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:10 PM
That was the exact thought I had this morning when I got into my car, My car barely started, so I was wondering if maybe the REAL reason the iPhone isn't in ehMac territory is due to our harsh cold winters....

It's currently available in Alaska, which I would imagine is considerably colder than most of populated Canada.

The screen should work regardless of temp, as it's not a heat-based system. The one annoyance I have found, however, is that the earphone cable becomes brittle and pops out of my ears a lot, and the clicker becomes difficult to click.

titans88
Feb 28th, 2008, 05:44 PM
It's currently available in Alaska, which I would imagine is considerably colder than most of populated Canada.

The screen should work regardless of temp, as it's not a heat-based system. The one annoyance I have found, however, is that the earphone cable becomes brittle and pops out of my ears a lot, and the clicker becomes difficult to click.

I have the same problem! VERY annoying.

In regards to the original question, i've used my iPhone all winter without any issues, besides my earphones popping out!

psxp
Feb 29th, 2008, 01:57 PM

I found it makes it harder to use. I had problems answering calls etc when out in the cold.

Its ironic that every day I walk past the Rogers HQ on the way to and from work ;-)