: Weather Network widget Question

Sitting Bull
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I have downloaded the widget, it shows up in my dashboard blank. How do I get my local weather to show up in it.
Thanks and have a good night.

Sorry, I think this should have been posted in the help and trouble shooting area.

Isight
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Is there a little i on it, at on one of the bottom corners? If there is click on it and that should give you some options. Hop this helps!

Sitting Bull
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
No there is no i on it. It usually sits on the bottom right corner, but it is not there today.
I had it working fine last night. I shut down My computer for the night. Today when I re started it up it was empty of all info. So i deleted it and downloaded it again from the site. I cant figure it out yet.

Isight
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Go to terminal and go file new command and type "Killall Dock" with out the " " click run. This will reset your dock and dashboard. It works for me.

gmark2000
Feb 28th, 2008, 04:04 AM
The stock Accuweather widget is really wrong today.

Sitting Bull
Feb 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Go to terminal and go file new command and type "Killall Dock" with out the " " click run. This will reset your dock and dashboard. It works for me.

Thanks, but when i click on the file button on the top of my screen I do not see those commands at all.I am assuming that "terminal"means the toolbar at the top of my desktop screen.

S.B

bgw
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:10 AM
To use Terminal you have to go to your Utilities folder, which is in the Applications folder. The fastest route is by going to the 'Go' menu and picking item 'Utilities'. Open Terminal then enter the command mentioned above. With Terminal you can execute many Unix commands; it is a wonderful tool if you know how to use it.

My widgets go down on me to. I haven't done a through test in 10.5.2. For weather I created a widget that had the Environment Canada local radar image on it. It always failed in 10.5.1 so maybe later today I'll try to make it again.

Isight
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:12 AM
No terminal is a app that basicly controls your system through commands. In spotlight at the to right coroner type terminal. This will give you options to choose from choose terminal. Then do what I said in my other post. Hope this helps.

rgray
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.
No there is no i on it. It usually sits on the bottom right corner, but it is not there today.
I had it working fine last night. I shut down My computer for the night. Today when I re started it up it was empty of all info. So i deleted it and downloaded it again from the site. I cant figure it out yet.

I get the 'i' when I move the cursor over the widget. Otherwise it does not appear.

nick24
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:21 AM
The stock Accuweather widget is really wrong today.

IMHO, the Accuweather widget is really wrong every day!

Being relatively new to Macs, I love the widget functionality, such as movie listings, ski hill info. It's just a shame that (as with most things in life) there is such a US bias, such as the lack of buy movie tickets from the widget functionality. And let's not get started on the lack of iTunes content. Yes, we all know that this may not be Apple's fault - but we all like to moan about it!

rgray
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:26 AM
It's just a shame that (as with most things in life) there is such a US bias, such as the lack of buy movie tickets from the widget functionality.

This is less a problem with Apple than it is a problem with Canadian entrepreneurs. Seems to me you have outline several business opportunities for Canadians so inclined. Anyone can write a widget to connect to anything....

Sitting Bull
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Sorry but I may not be understanding properly but I made it to terminal I right clicked then open. All I got was a black window with very small writing in it nothing else, no buttons. I typed in kill all dock and pressed return. Nothing happened
The title on the box says Terminal-bash-80x24
then small writing like last log in then the date and my name.

neufelni
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Yes, that is what you are looking for. The Terminal is Mac OS X's equivalent to the Windows Command Prompt. If you typed the command properly, it should just return you to the prompt without anything else being outputted, but you should also see the dock disappear for about a second. Make sure you type:
killall Dock
exactly as above (Dock must be capitalized).

bgw
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:05 PM
You have just briefly entered the world of Unix. Very powerful, and sometimes very unintuitive. The Mac's beauty causes designers to love it; the Unix hidden away below the surface makes the really competent old Unix IT gurus love it too!

If your into it there are a number of books on using Unix on the Mac.

Macfury
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I have tried to get that weather widget to channel Toronto forecasts and it does--Toronto, Ohio! Every time I try to correct it, it reverts to that city.

bgw
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I have tried to get that weather widget to channel Toronto forecasts and it does--Toronto, Ohio! Every time I try to correct it, it reverts to that city.

Go to the widget, click on the "i" button and search for Toronto, Canada (Ontario).

The widget should look like this:

Sitting Bull
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Wow!!!! That was amazing I did not have the D capitalized. Darn bi-foculs:) . That was just to cool.:D
Thanks to all for guiding me through this and being patient with me.

I learned something new today! and that's a good thing.

Thank you.