: G4 video card question

The Great Waka
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I'm looking at upgrading the video card in my MDD G4 from the stock 32MB. I know that the best available for it is the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, but the mac edition is crazy expensive. I've found a bunch of them from third-party companies (like Sapphire) for a lot cheaper. Any chance that these would work? Or is there a fairly straigtforward approach to flashing the card, that doesn't require a Windows box?

Orion
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM
I had a Sapphire card for a few days. In terms of performance it was great. Quite the upgrade for me at the time (16MB Rage to 64MB = very nice). Unfortunately for me I could not make the card work after waking from sleep. I would get a highly distorted video mash and could only recover with a reset. This was a few years ago and things may be better now.

Macfury
Feb 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Waka: I've investigated this pretty thoroughly and have come to these conclusions--though other ehMacers may disagree:

1) The flashing process is hit and miss. Some people who buy a card with the intention of flashing it are disappointed.
2) You can't flash the card without first placing it in a non-Mac box.
3) If you want to avoid paying 9600 Pro prices, then find someone who is willing to flash one of the cards and let you test it before buying.
4) It is often no more expensive to buy a whole used box with the card that you want, than it is to buy the card itself. Consider doing that and switching cards, then selling the one you like least.

Lawrence
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I'm looking at upgrading the video card in my MDD G4 from the stock 32MB. I know that the best available for it is the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro, but the mac edition is crazy expensive. I've found a bunch of them from third-party companies (like Sapphire) for a lot cheaper. Any chance that these would work? Or is there a fairly straigtforward approach to flashing the card, that doesn't require a Windows box?

Other World Computing has the OEM ATI 9600 Pro for $99. USD (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/630ATI96MDD/)
Seems to be the best choice to me, Better than fiddling with flashed cards.

Dave :)

Macfury
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Interesting, dolawren--they altered a G5 card to work in a G4. Note that it doesn't have a powered ADC connection.

Another_Paul
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM
I just purchased the APPLE ATI 9600 XT from eBay for about $96 for my MDD. I did lots of looking around before settling on this.

What is nice about this card is that it is fanless (no more pesky noisy, dying video fans to deal with) and supports Core Image while being faster than the 9600 Pro. It might be worth your while to contact "Mac-Genius" from eBay regarding this card or another one that fits your budget.

eBay Store - Mac Geniuses: (http://stores.ebay.com/Mac-Geniuses/)
APPLE ATI RADEON 9600 XT SPEED!
400MHz GPU / 64MB / 620MHz DDR
FANLESS = COMPLETELY SILENT/QUIET
for ANY 4X AGP POWERMAC G4
EVEN QUICKSILVER/DIGITAL AUDIO MACS!
MAC OS 10.3.6-10.4.10 G4 COMPATIBILITY TESTED √
MacOS 10.5 LEOPARD TESTED in a G4/G5 √
FULL ATI DISPLAYS & EXTENDED DESKTOP

This is an Apple Radeon 9600 Mac 64MB video card configured for Powermac G4s that works in all all Digital Audio, Quicksilver, and Mirrored Door (MDD) models, in other words, ANY 4X AGP PowerMac G4. Yep, this card will work in any 4X AGP PowerMac G4 model and is not ATI's Mac/PEECEE Radeon 9600 which is slower, alot more expensive, and does not work in any Quicksilver or Digital Audio model Macs according to ATI. Well evidently, Apple knows their Powermac G4s a LOT better than ATI does as this REAL APPLE RADEON 9600 that is completely compatible with ALL 4X AGP POWERMAC G4s! But the more important thing about this Radeon 9600 is that it's also FASTER than ATI's Radeon 9600 as well! Other places sell this card for less money, but no one else sells a 400+MHz XT SPEED model of this card. And of course this Radeon 9600 Mac video card is totally Apple Quartz Extreme enabled and much faster than that old Råge128 graphics card in MacOS X 10.3.6 Panther or 10.4.10 TIGER, and this card is also MacOS 10.4 CORE IMAGE SUPPORTED! meaning it is fully supported by Apple's next generation accelerated video technology! It's even supported by Apple's high-performance motion graphic design and production application Apple Motion and it is FULLY SUPPORTED BY ALL FUTURE APPLE UPDATES, so no worries about obsolescence when MacOS X 10.5 LEOPARD comes out! This card is a great upgrade for any 4X AGP Power Mac stuck with slow discontinued ATI Råge, Radeon7OOO85OOthru9OOO, or GEF0RCE234MXto52OO graphics technology. Yep, its faster than them all across the board and even runs less hot! This card runs all of ATI's Radeon Smartshader II tests and has FULL ATI DISPLAYS SUPPORT, even VERSAVISION monitor rotation! Also fully compatible with Apple's Colorsync software...

The Great Waka
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Cool, thanks all. Yeah, flashing was something I figured wouldn't be perfect. I'll be checking out the other options on here. The OWC idea sounds good, at half the price. Just shipping that always kills.

ahMEmon
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Other World Computing has the OEM ATI 9600 Pro for $99. USD (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ATI%20Technologies/630ATI96MDD/)
Seems to be the best choice to me, Better than fiddling with flashed cards.

Dave :)

Do NOT buy this card from OWC. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I purchased the Radeon 9600 from them and had to send it back TWICE after it stopped showing video. Then after paying all those shipping costs decided that it just wasn't worth it. The card sits in my pile o computer junk....

I had better luck getting one from ebay.

Then to top it off, about a month ago, I bought a NewerTech 2.0 Ghz 7448 G4 Upgrade processor for my Quicksilver, and although the speed boost was nice, my computer kept crashing over and over.

So i did the "Chess Test" only to have the program crash up to 4 minutes into the game EVERY SINGLE TIME. When I contacted OWC, they said that there was a timing problem with the 1MB L2 cache and I should sent it back for an exchange.

I got a refund.

I think that will be the last time I buy anything from OWC.

The Great Waka
Feb 28th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I just checked the OWC one and noticed that it was only 64MB. I figure if I'm upgrading I'd like at least 128. I'll keep an eye on that ebay seller.

Also, wouldn't mind buying somewhere in town. I see that Carbon has the 256MB version in stock. Any others lying around?

Darien Red Sox
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Whatever you get make sure it had Mac on the box otherwise it may not work or act weard. OWC has great deals and also check New Egg and Tigger Drect.

Macfury
Feb 28th, 2008, 11:48 AM
...also check...Tigger Drect.

"You should buy this card from me, cause I'm the only one! Growr-r-r-r-r-r!"

Fuji
Feb 28th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi,

I am jumping in here seeing that I would like to upgrade the video card in a friend's sawtooth G4 (I think it's a 450 MHz... but might be a 500...). It has the original 16MB ATI pro whatchamacallit installed.

I have noticed that this "mac-genius" guy on eBay seems to know his stuff, but I'd like to ask here first.

What superior AGP card can I pop into his system in a relatively hassle-free manner? I'd like to avoid issues of the card needing more power (unless you can assure me that there is a pre-existing spare cable inside his tower than can easily hook up to it and won't bother his ppower supply).

I'd really appreciate some knowledgeable feedback on this one.

With thanks!

Another_Paul
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I am jumping in here seeing that I would like to upgrade the video card in a friend's sawtooth G4 (I think it's a 450 MHz... but might be a 500...). It has the original 16MB ATI pro whatchamacallit installed.

I have noticed that this "mac-genius" guy on eBay seems to know his stuff, but I'd like to ask here first.

What superior AGP card can I pop into his system in a relatively hassle-free manner? I'd like to avoid issues of the card needing more power (unless you can assure me that there is a pre-existing spare cable inside his tower than can easily hook up to it and won't bother his ppower supply).

I'd really appreciate some knowledgeable feedback on this one.

With thanks!

I had a Sawtooth 500MHz a while ago and I upgraded from the ol' ATI card in there to a GeForce2 MX with very satisfactory results (especially with Quartz Extreme now enabled). Check out my thread on it a few years back...

https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-ipod-help-troubleshooting/31470-cheap-quartz-extreme-agp-video-card-available-my-old-g4-power-mac.html

This is my PM to Dolawren thanking him for his recommendations...
"You recommended a Geforce2 item for my ol' Power Mac a while back from ebay.

Well, I just got the item, installed it and it works perfectly. In fact this video card makes the GUI usage very smooth. Genie, fast user switching, expose, everything runs sooooo well. Thank you again for the recommendation! I feel like I have a new "old" mac

Paul"

iMike
Feb 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I was able to find an ATI radeon 9000 Mac edition 128 MB card for my Quicksilver and it works well in 9 and X. I believe they've now replaced this card with the 9200.

I thought the ATI radeon 9800 pro mac edition 128 mb version could be used in G4 AGP slots and was the one of the best update cards for these machines?

Mike