: Games

markw
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hi all
I'm going to be getting an iMac (with 256 MB video) in a couple of weeks and will finally be rid of this Curse I call Dell!
But I still have a few favorite PC games that I would like to be able to play, how good is the compatibility if I use Windows XP. I would really miss Vice City and GTA San Andreas.
Also would I still be able to use my PS2 controller/USB adapter?
If I have to give up these games are there some good driving and RTS games for the Mac?
I really haven't had a chance to do a search yet, but there must be some good ones out there that would take advantage of that bright 20" screen!beejacon

Adrian.
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:06 AM
There is good compatibility. Use the free copy of bootcamp that comes with leopard though. It is much more capable than parallels or Virtual PC.

I have no idea about your ps2 adapter controller set up. But as long as the game recognizes its controls then I see why not.

Mac has many good RTS games : All the Age of Empires up to III and the expansions. Command and Conquer Generals +Zero Hour expansion. The Homeworld series.

If you are into gaming just run it through a boot camped Windows OS. You can play anything. Remember though, you will loose about 20% hardware capabilities in the cross over. Still, a 256 and over 2 ghz is plenty to play most games these days.

Cheers!

esct
Feb 27th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Whatever you do don't get rollercoaster tycoon. I hate that game.. (But I CANT stop playing!)

markw
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Okay, thanks for the help, it seems I will be alright with my old games, even if there is a performance hit I'm not going to be using anything newer than 2005 so it really won't matter.
Now that I think of it, I've got on old copy of StarCraft hanging around I'm not sure if it is Mac compatible but it sure is old enough to not be bothered with performance.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to order an iMac through tthe store, or go to Futureshop or Sherway Gardens Apple store. I want to get 2 Gig of RAM and it's only $100 extra online, I don't know how much Futureshop would charge, if I could get anyone's attention, they were pretty useless last Saturday!

Adrian.
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Just get it online via education discount or refurb.

lookitsmarc
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:05 PM
What will likely be the best RTS ever made, Starcraft 2, will be released for Mac at the same time as windows. So just play Starcraft to hold yourself over.

markw
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Oh yeah I had heard that is coming out, I was going to avoid it for a few years because I know my Dell wouldn't be able to handle it, it couldn't even handle "Scarface the world is yours" until I upgraded the video card, then the DVD drives quit starting the game!
I will have to check tonight and see if my original Starcraft discs are Mac compatible.

Adrian.
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Oh yeah I had heard that is coming out, I was going to avoid it for a few years because I know my Dell wouldn't be able to handle it, it couldn't even handle "Scarface the world is yours" until I upgraded the video card, then the DVD drives quit starting the game!
I will have to check tonight and see if my original Starcraft discs are Mac compatible.

I don't think you understand the whole incapability deal. If the Star Craft disks were made for windows then they are completely not at all compatible with a Mac OS. That is not to say it is not compatible with the hardware. Largely, especially now with Intel instead of PPC chips, the incompatibility issue is due to different language.

Pc games have to be compatible with MS DOS structure and Mac games must be compatible with UNIX structure.

Therefore, your old starcraft disks are NOT compatible with any Apple OS if they were designed for Windows use. That is not to say that they will not work on an Apple computer running windows.

Get me?

dona83
Feb 27th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Therefore, your old starcraft disks are NOT compatible with any Apple OS if they were designed for Windows use. That is not to say that they will not work on an Apple computer running windows.

Get me?

Blizzard has historically released PC and Mac versions of their games on one disc. My concern is that your Starcraft disc may be for PC and Mac OS 9.

Anyway don't believe me? Go to Futureshop and look for WoW. Mac and PC compatible.

lookitsmarc
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Blizzard has historically released PC and Mac versions of their games on one disc. My concern is that your Starcraft disc may be for PC and Mac OS 9.

Anyway don't believe me? Go to Futureshop and look for WoW. Mac and PC compatible.

He's right. I have installed starcraft on a mac and a PC with the same disk.

irontree
Feb 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
FYI I have a PS2 controller/USB adapter and it works great in OSX for games (especially Nintendo/arcade emulators). Haven't tried it in windows yet but hey ironically the manufacturers of the adapter never mentioned Mac OS compatibility :-)

markw
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
He's right. I have installed starcraft on a mac and a PC with the same disk.

I just got home and yep, it's true my old well used Starcraft disc is both mac & windows, however it says OS 7.5 and higher. I won't know until I get my iMac if it will run in Leopard. I'm not if OS X is like the change from Windows 98 to XP where some things just didn't work anymore.
If it doesn't work, well what can you expect from an 11 year old game:lmao:

thanks for all the input, March is going to be an exciting month for me, my iMac will be here and I can finally stop dealing with all my PC troubles!

Cheers!