: Which Office suite should I keep?

GS1
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:36 PM
I have Office 07 for windows and office 08 for mac. I got both at reduced costs ($64 for 2007 and $109 for 2008). I also have Parallels 3.0 running.

For the 6 months I've had 2007, I've grown pretty fond of it. Outlook is actually a treat to use compared to Outlook XP. I also love how the new ribbon feature in word and excel do away with circa 90's labyrinth style drop down menus. In short, I actually take my hat off to the MS team that designed it because of how intuitive the new UI is. Did I mention that this is the top of the line Ultimate Edition which is worth ~ $700?

I got office 2008 today (don't ask, I'll look really dumb) home and student edition, still unopened in the box. I don't know if I should keep it or not. So far, the reviews (and screenshots) have been less than impressive, especially for Entourage. I may be a simple home user who has zero use for Exchange support, but the single data file storing all my emails still bugs the hell outta me. I use(d) Outlook religiously, and I must say that the Mac edition looks really stripped down compared to the one I currently use.

As for word, it is a toss up. I love the ribbon, but the floating palette (Mac) also works very nicely.

What would you do? Keep the 2007 edition and VM it thru parallels or run 2008 natively?

bgw
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I'm a long time Microsoft user on both the Mac and PC. Recently I switched over to NeoOffice so the new version of Office isn't of great interest.

But, one thing I do recommend, is that before tossing MS Office 2008 for Mac out wait for a service pack or two to appear. Microsoft usually gets things right in the end. In my humble opinion it is too soon to pass judgement on the Microsoft Mac product.

(( p g ))
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM
What would you do? Keep the 2007 edition and VM it thru parallels or run 2008 natively?

As a new release, Office 2008 for Mac still has some performance issues that need to be dealt with. But if I had to choose between running it and the hassle of having to run Parallels to run Office 09 for PCs...I'd choose the former.

Why make life difficult for yourself when you can simply use one OS for everything?

crazy
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Hmmm so your choice is
a) Mac Office
or
b) Windows Office.

I'd choose c) iWork :)

I really like the iWork suite.

Between those two, if I were forced to use Office I'd go with the Windows version as it has less issues to deal with.

chas_m
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:57 AM
If you're running on a Mac, use a Mac program.

Where do you think Office 2007 got the "ribbon" idea from? Hint: not from anyone who works on the Windows side of Office development.

FlaminWiz
Feb 27th, 2008, 08:36 AM
I'd probably install the Mac Office (all components). And the components that the PC Office has that the Mac doesn't, install those. So you have all the components except that the ones on the Mac are better than the PC versions.

Newbie PHM
Mar 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hi,

I was at the point of picking up the Home/Student edition of MS Office 2008 to smooth out some issues I've been having with Office 2004 -- which I like very much and have gotten used to, quirks and all -- when I started reading the lukewarm-to-downright-negative reviews on the Apple store site.

My major aims in upgrading would be to 1. upgrade Entourage while ensuring I can continue to use (and read in) my current email database (Main Identity); 2. to upgrade Word while building on large documents created in Word 2004; 3. continue to work on PowerPoint presentations begun in Office 2004.

What's scared me off are reviews like this:

I had to reinstall Word 2004 since Endnote does not function in 2008. Nor does any of my other bibliographic programs work.Other then that things have been OK. For the money spent I would have expected more then what I got which is basically new looking buttons and that is it.

(7 of 10 people found this review useful)

-- I have a thesis started which is loaded with Endnotes!

Does anyone have any experience with Word08's Endnote function?

:confused:

How about Entourage -- will my database/Identity transfer smoothly?

And PowerPoint 08 (which also got negative reviews on the Apple site) -- does anyone have experience updating presentations built in PP04 with PP08?

Or should I just keep Office 04?

XX)

Thanks, all -- BTW, ehMac.ca is a wonderfully useful resource.

benk
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:04 PM
I have Office 2008 mac and Office 2003 windows via parallels running on my macbook. In my opinion, Office 2003 on parallels is a much better product than Office 2008 mac, but I still mostly use Office 2008 for mac because I rarely have parallels running.

Not including start up time of parallels, office 2003 starts up much faster than office 2008 and runs much more smoothly than office 2008 mac.

It's mostly excel that really bugs me (I don't use Entourage/Outlook). I do a lot of excel work with a lot of data. Excel 2008 for mac is sooooo unbelievably slow it's laughable compared to Excel 2003 for windows via parallels.

PierreB
Mar 22nd, 2008, 07:43 PM
A little off topic. I have Office 2008 installed. How do you get Entourage to stop launching its "today" thing at launch. I have tried to ticking off the launch at startup but it stubbornly always comes back.

Newbie PHM
Dec 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Well, with the thesis behind me, I finally installed Office 2008.

With updates (12.1.4), I was amazed at compatibility: the Entourage database worked fine, Endnotes built in Word '04 seem to be flawless, no problems with Excel either (except I still find it an annoying spreadsheet, and miss the simplicity of the spreadsheet in Lotus SmartSuite, which I still use on my XP partition).

Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't remove Office 2004 at this point?

Thanks ...

FlaminWiz
Dec 5th, 2008, 06:37 PM
If you're running on a Mac, use a Mac program.

Exactly. The same thing my cousin (older than me of course) told me when I asked him some questions about Parallels/VMWare Fusion, before I bought my Mac. It's like asking if you should install Leopard on a PC. (If this is analogy, which I think it is, I seem to like it).

hayesk
Dec 5th, 2008, 07:01 PM
The ribbon has got to be one of the worst UI "innovations" in recent memory. MS claims it's because menus are confusing to users.

Menus are not confusing; menus designed by Microsoft are confusing. I'll take a well designed menu bar with commands correctly categorized over a ribbon any day.

Microsoft never did understand the beauty of menus. It became apparent when they implemented menus that grew and shrank. Gee, what did they think would happen to muscle memory when commands are in different places all the time? How easy is it for the user to explore the application and its features if you selectively hide the commands all the time?

And don't get me started on toolbars. Toolbars have their placed, but they're grossly overused.