: Free up a few gigabytes of space on your Mac

bmovie
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Read this and was wondering if this would harm my OS in any way?

Anyone have an input?

You can free up 3 GB by removing non-English localization resource files (*.lproj) with the following command:

find / \
\! -name 'English.lproj' \
\! -name 'en.lproj' \
-name '*.lproj' -type d \
-exec rm -rf -- {} \; -prune

If you want to make sure you're deleting the right files before you delete them, see the list of the .ljprojf files first:

find / \
\! -name 'English.lproj' \
\! -name 'en.lproj' \
-name '*.lproj' -type d -print -prune

crazy
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I don't THINK I've tried that but what I did do was delete my Printers folder (since my laptop isn't used for Printing, and even so you can just keep the drivers pertaining to your printer) and since I'm not an iLife user I deleted the large application support for Garageband, iDVD, etc.

CubaMark
Feb 26th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Well... my aversion to the terminal, unless there's no other choice (a typo could seriously mess things up), so I suggest instead going with Monolingual (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13031) (though some people have had issues with it), or Delocalizer (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/13503) (which doesn't seem to have been updated since 2002, but apparently does still work with Leopard / Intel).

NOTE that the issue that people seemed to have with Monolingual was not with the removal of language packs, but with the removal of non-Intel architectures (PPC Code). If you use it just for the language removals, all should go fine.

However - the best way to ensure that your OS has none of the stuff that isn't of use to you is to do a Customized installation of OS X, and de-selecting all of the additional language packs (and printer packages, and other stuff).

bmovie
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
When i got my MBP I did a custom install, so I wouldnt' have all those files. I will have to check out this program mentioned above.

eMacMan
Feb 27th, 2008, 01:58 AM
However - the best way to ensure that your OS has none of the stuff that isn't of use to you is to do a Customized installation of OS X, and de-selecting all of the additional language packs (and printer packages, and other stuff).

NIce theory but running Delocalizer or Monolingual will still free up a whack of HD space.

BTW as soon as you run updates the extra languages creep back in, so keep that in mind as well.

chas_m
Feb 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM
A custom install of OS X will still install the eight core languages, but will eliminate a lot of others. Likewise it will install a mess of printer drivers you don't use, but at least it won't install even more from other companies besides the brand you chose.

So there's still room for pruning, but I beg readers to make SURE they have a complete bootable (tested!) backup BEFORE pruning. You are messing with the system, and that can easily have bad consequences. A backup is mandatory.

Mr. Fartleberry
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
If you watch what one of the Localizer type programs is removing you will be shocked. There are foreign language files everywhere. Don't think that a custom instal is handling it. The Adobe installers put an incredible amount to these files on to your box. Also remember there's a pile of fonts you don't need and third party apps may also be adding them as well.

I've always wanted a checkbox that says: "This computer will be used for English only - do not instal anything else". I sure don't know why I need a Chinese text converter in my services pull down menu or an American flag on my keyboard icon.

An Old Soul
Feb 27th, 2008, 12:15 PM
a great app for getting rid bulk is Xslimmer. Will remove localization and architectures- i.e if you have an intel Mac, it'll remove the PPC code from universal apps. Saves space big time.

bmovie
Feb 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
a great app for getting rid bulk is Xslimmer. Will remove localization and architectures- i.e if you have an intel Mac, it'll remove the PPC code from universal apps. Saves space big time.

I will have to give a try

PierreB
Feb 28th, 2008, 12:31 AM

I have used this software on two Macs (Pro and Air) - has freed up some hard disk space space + the added benefit that the applications that have been slimmed seem to be snappier.

An ironic aspect is that if you run the software with the genie, Xslimmer itself uses some weight.

Note also that the programme allows to choose to keep as many languages as you want. So for example, if you need English and French language resources, you can specify to the software to keep both languages and delete the rest.

May not be advisable if you are using Tiger or earlier as likely have better removal for native OS X Leopard Inel based Mac scenario,

JSvo
Feb 28th, 2008, 06:00 AM

I'd be careful with Xslimmer if you're using it on system files or Apple apps such as those in iLife. I had to reinstall several apps from my system boot disc after borking them with Xslimmer. Some apps simply rely on the dual code, extra languages, etc., being there.

I have to echo chas_m's post; make sure you backup before trying the methods mentioned here.

kloan
Feb 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Cool, thanks for the languages tip!

I didn't install the language packs during the Leopard install, I always deselect it during installations of OSs, but sure enough 2.1GB were freed up!

Neato! :)

garbage914
Dec 26th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Could someone please email me a copy of Delocalizer 1.1 for OSX? I've looked everywhere for a download and can't find one.

Much thanks.
[email protected]

Adrian.
Dec 26th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Is there a way to keep some languages. I require English (UK & US), Spanish and French localisation.

eMacMan
Dec 26th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Is there a way to keep some languages. I require English (UK & US), Spanish and French localisation.

Delocalizer will allow to pick only those languages you wish to retain. You cannot dump American English as the OS depends on it.

Atroz
Dec 26th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Could someone please email me a copy of Delocalizer 1.1 for OSX? I've looked everywhere for a download and can't find one.

Much thanks.
[email protected]

Download DeLocalizer for Mac - Removes non-english localization resources. MacUpdate Mac Optimizers Software Downloads (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/9281/delocalizer)