: Mdd Vs Dp 800

iLabmAn
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I'm staring at two Macs here:

Quicksilver DP 800
MDD DP 867

What would you opt for? Both machines have the same bus speed. Leopard can work on both, but I understand the MDD is a screamer.

Thoughts?

mguertin
Feb 25th, 2008, 07:15 PM
MDD would be my choice. They are all-around better machines than any of the Quicksilvers in my opinion.

FeXL
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Ignore them both.

Buy my MDD DP 1.42 instead. :D

ApplePie
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:47 PM
You don't mention price differences.

I have a MDD DP 867 and it has the fan replacement from Apple and I run CHUD. It is quiet and acceptable to me.

Does the machine have the fan replacement?

FlaminWiz
Feb 25th, 2008, 10:44 PM
go for the cheaper one

The Great Waka
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I vote for the MDD here. 6 years and still running. Just loud.

iChard
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:09 AM
MDD all the way. The one I had was a little loud under the desk - but I wasn't editing audio for tv or film :) It was my favourite mac ever - so fast - fast burning, copying files to other internal drives etc.

iLabmAn
Feb 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM
You don't mention price differences.

I have a MDD DP 867 and it has the fan replacement from Apple and I run CHUD. It is quiet and acceptable to me.

Does the machine have the fan replacement?

Not sure. How can I tell?

I decided to go for the MDD. Swapped out my drives from the QS DP 800. I was pleasantly surprised when I cracked the case of the MDD: I can install up to four drives inside!! I also installed TWO DVD-RWs so that I can burn two disks at a time (whee!). This machine also has faster ram and a DVI port so I can finally use my LCD at its native resolution.

All around, a good upgrade. Nothing breathtaking but at least I can upgrade to Leopard (found out that previous gens of G4s are not supported).

Nice machine....and a bit louder than my "old" QS>

ApplePie
Feb 26th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Not sure. How can I tell?

I decided to go for the MDD. Swapped out my drives from the QS DP 800. I was pleasantly surprised when I cracked the case of the MDD: I can install up to four drives inside!! I also installed TWO DVD-RWs so that I can burn two disks at a time (whee!). This machine also has faster ram and a DVI port so I can finally use my LCD at its native resolution.

All around, a good upgrade. Nothing breathtaking but at least I can upgrade to Leopard (found out that previous gens of G4s are not supported).

Nice machine....and a bit louder than my "old" QS>

I figured you could ask the previous owner.
See: Installing Apple's G4 Noise Mod (http://www.splefty.com/G4mod/) and Powermac G4 MDD cooling and noise reduction Cool Stuff (http://coolstuff.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/powermac-g4-mdd-cooling-and-noise-reduction/) for more info.
I would consider CHUD v3.5.2 and the startup script to reduce the noise. One thing I'm on 10.4 so confirm for yourself CHUD v3.5.2 will work on 10.5.
Cheers