: Quick question from a recently converted PC user

sae
Feb 24th, 2008, 09:23 PM
hello All,

I've had my imac (white 20") for about 1/2 week now and I love it. When I was copying over my pictures from my PC to the mac the total for all pictures went from 4 gb to about 14 gb in the mac. Is it usual for files to take up more room on a mac? I also noticed similar things with mp3's. They were 3 mb on the PC and 6 mb on the mac.

Thanks.

Sae

JumboJones
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:02 PM
I've had problems with copying files over and phantom files coming with them, which can add to the size of things. My suggestion would be to try compressing them into a zip file first.

guytoronto
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
No, this is not normal.

How are you copying the files over?

Macfury
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Try porting them to a second folder one at a time. I once had some phantom files that were stuck to the original folder but didn't travel if I moved the individual files.

Adrian.
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:11 PM
...phantom files.

files take up the same room on a mac.

sae
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks everyone. I had originally copied the files from my PC laptop using an external harddrive (formated to NTFS in case that matters). I just deleted all my photos and added them again from the external drive and it's 4.3 gb now.

Also, I was successful in adding a bunch on music to itunes from my PC but I have a few files that won't import. The play in the finder and they play in quicktime but they won't import to itunes. Any ideas?

PosterBoy
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Also, I was successful in adding a bunch on music to itunes from my PC but I have a few files that won't import. The play in the finder and they play in quicktime but they won't import to itunes. Any ideas?

Are they MP3s or M4As or WMVs or ? if it's either of the first two then that's a wee bit strange, but on my Mac QuickTime can play DivX/XviD AVI and WMV video files but they won't work in iTunes unless I convert them to MOV or MP4 or something else natively compatible with QuickTime first.

Adrian.
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Import them onto your desktop and convert them to mp3 or AAV and then add them. If they are video than mp4 (iSquint).

sae
Feb 24th, 2008, 11:54 PM
they are mp3 files.

Adrian.
Feb 25th, 2008, 09:01 AM
they are mp3's and they wont import into iTunes?

Try converting to AAV's. They might be or have gotten corrupted in the transfer.

sae
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
How do I go about converting them? Thanks. By the way these files played fine in itunes on windows (in case that matters)