: Virus ... XP ... Parallels

FlaminWiz
Feb 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
I'm planning to buy the iMac and Parallels. If I install it and Windows XP, can the Windows get infected. If it does, can I just reinstall Parallels and XP? And if I get infected, will my MAC also get infected?

Atroz
Feb 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
I'm planning to buy the iMac and Parallels. If I install it and Windows XP, can the Windows get infected. If it does, can I just reinstall Parallels and XP? And if I get infected, will my MAC also get infected?

Yes it can/will get infected. It's a Windows PC. It runs Windows software pretty much perfectly, including the malware.

Yes, you can re-install Windows and XP each time you get infected, but what happens if you don't know and it does something nasty?

The Mac won't get infected, but if you are sharing files with the Windows image, you could have the files get infected/harmed/erased, etc.

bgw
Feb 23rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
To prevent your Parallels XP environment from getting a virus use AVG free line of anti-virus software. Check it out at AVG Free Advisor - Free antivirus and anti-spyware downloads (http://free.grisoft.com/). I have been using the products for some time on my Boot Camp Windows XP and have had no problems. They also have free anti-spywear and anti-rootkit software too.

FlaminWiz
Feb 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM
To prevent your Parallels XP environment from getting a virus use AVG free line of anti-virus software. Check it out at AVG Free Advisor - Free antivirus and anti-spyware downloads (http://free.grisoft.com/). I have been using the products for some time on my Boot Camp Windows XP and have had no problems. They also have free anti-spywear and anti-rootkit software too.

I use AVG on my current PC. It's a really good program.

Another question is when I open Parallels on Windows XP, does it turn on and you login or does it go straight to the desktop? This is if Parallels is closed and open it.

TrevX
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I use AVG on my current PC. It's a really good program.

Another question is when I open Parallels on Windows XP, does it turn on and you login or does it go straight to the desktop? This is if Parallels is closed and open it.

When you start Parallels it goes through the entire boot process just like you turned on a PC. You'll see the black screen with Windows XP logo on it, then it will either come to the Windows XP login screen or go to the Desktop depending on how you have Windows configured. If you leave it with the default it will go straight to the desktop.

Parallels is essentially a software based PC, so just imagine that everytime you start it you're actually starting a PC and you'll know what to expect.

Trev

FlaminWiz
Feb 24th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Is there a feature so I if I close, it wont have to turn on but instead it'll go straight to the desktop.

What would happen if I left Parallels running with 3GB RAM and 2.4GHz processor. Would there be major drop in speed or what?