: 10.5.2 wireless problems

Macinguelph
Feb 12th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I have already written in the 10.5.2 forum on the anything apple side, but figured that a post in the trouble shooting side may yield more response.

Equipment: Mid 2007 Macbook Black C2D 2.16 GHZ 2 GB ram 10.5.1, D-Link DIR 625 wireless N router.

Yesterday, I came home from work and checked ehmac to find that 10.5.2 had been released. I made a superduper bootable clone of my HD last week, so still fairly fresh, and proceeded to run ONYX to clean caches and repair disk permissions/run scripts. After all was done, I accessed software update and downloaded and installed 10.5.2 combo. After a not too lengthy reboot, I logged into my account and found 10.5.2 installed successfully. I then went back to software update to get the graphics update. At this point, software update hung up at the progress bar and would not move, after a while it said that it could not connect to the internet. Keep in mind that under 10.5.1 I had no issues with the internet. I went into the network prefs and used the diagnostic tool which told me that the connection appears normal. I then tried Safari and Firefox and both just hung trying to load the home page.

After trying several different resets on the router and my cable modem, I decided that maybe the software update version was to blame. I booted from my external clone of 10.5.1 - cleaned before and after cloning, and found that airport was working fine once again. I then cloned my internal HD from the external using superduper.

After the re-cloning, I tried the internet and all was well. I then decided to download the combo update from the apple.com website. I did this, re-installed 10.5.2, repaired permissions and then tried to connect again. Again, full bars in the menu icon, my network is recognized and IP address/DCHP status is all okay and network diagnosis says that all is well but I cannot connect to the internet.

Again, booting from the cloned external, I went online to this forum and then to apple discussion forum to find that several people on that forum are having the same sorts of issues. I have since re-cloned my internal back to 10.5.1 and will leave it that way until I get some answers.

My question is whether anyone can detect an oversight or installation no-no on my part, or does this appear to be an OS related compatibility issue? Also, has anyone in the ehmac community run into these issues?

While I don't appear to be alone in the apple community with this problem, I am reading all of these glowing reports on this site of people using the update successfully and I am more than a little jealous.

Thanks for listening!

Gerbill
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Maybe it's your router. I'm having zero problems with my AirPort Extreme Base Station (flying saucer shaped one.)

chas_m
Feb 13th, 2008, 12:55 AM
My usual advice in these situations is to go download the standalone updater and give it another go. Repair permissions afterwards.

Macinguelph
Feb 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for you reply Gerbill. I don't think it's my router per se as I've had no problems running 10.5.1, but it could be some sort of unresolved incompatibility issue with the new update and my router. I do appreciate your taking time to respond.

Chas_m, thank you for your input, I'll try the stand alone updater (hope I can find it) and give it another go. I was actually kind of hoping you'd reply as you seem to have a history of very good advice.

Thanks again,

Macinguelph.

Macinguelph
Feb 13th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks for you reply Gerbill. I don't think it's my router per se as I've had no problems running 10.5.1, but it could be some sort of unresolved incompatibility issue with the new update and my router. I do appreciate your taking time to respond.

Chas_m, thank you for your input, I'll try the stand alone updater (hope I can find it) and give it another go. I was actually kind of hoping you'd reply as you seem to have a history of very good advice.

Thanks again,

Macinguelph.

Macinguelph
Feb 13th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Sorry about the double post - not sure what happened there.

The great news is that I am now posting from my Macbook running 10.5.2!!!!
It was indeed a compatibility issue with the router, but not the hardware so much as the settings.

Thanks to a poster on the Apple discussion forums by the handle of Jed02, I set the RTS threshold and fragmentation threshold at 2306 instead of the default 2346. I'm not completely sure what these numbers mean (something to do with connection speed in receiving packets?) but with these settings, all is working well now. Hopefully anyone else out there with a D-Link DIR 625 will read this post or the one on Apple before updating.

I will be giving it a thorough test on the Macbook before updating the iMac as the iMac is my wife's preferred machine and smooth operation is very important for her.

Thanks again!

coldcanuck
Feb 13th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Do you have a link for the post? I'm having problems with a D-Link router on 10.5.2 as well. It's no longer connecting through DHCP. Every time it tries, it's using a 'self assigned IP' address... which is way outside the range the router is supposed to assign...

coldcanuck
Feb 13th, 2008, 11:09 PM
Never mind.. I'll start a new string... I don't think this is the same problem...

dgregory81
Feb 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
If you're have a D-link router with 802.11n 10.5.2 will break your "n" connection. You need to change your router to 802.11g. This apparently affects other router manufacturers as well. I have a D-link and this update killed my wireless connection as well, but putting my router to 802.11g worked fine.

Guitar King
Feb 14th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I have a Belkin N and my wireless works under 10.5.2, however it now randomly disconnects and reconnects. Sometimes it can't reconnect....

no idea why.

Macinguelph
Feb 14th, 2008, 07:57 PM
dgregory81 - see my above post from 10:32 pm yesterday. Your wireless N should work if you login to your D-Link router and go into the wireless section/advanced and change RTS and fragmentation thresholds from 2346 to 2306. This not only works, but allows you to keep N capabilities.

wing
Feb 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM
I solved my problem by changing the SSID :)