: External Drive faster than Internal

Eric0
Feb 11th, 2008, 02:09 AM
I am currently booted off an external USB drive. Applications are opening much faster than on my built in Macbook Pro hard disk.

Both disks are 7200 rpm. Any idea why this may be?

chas_m
Feb 11th, 2008, 04:57 AM
There's a variety of possible explanations. Is the external one a clone of the internal one? Do they have the same amount of cache? Is one more fragmented than the other?

Etc. etc.

CanadaRAM
Feb 11th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Are the applications and background processes that start automatically the same on both OS installs? Or is one OS minty fresh while the other is larded down with widgets and programs?

How full is the internal drive? Are both drives 2.5" or is the external a 3.5" drive? There's a world of difference between running on the inside tracks of a near-full 2.5" drive and running on the outside tracks of a fresh 3.5" drive.

Is the internal hard drive completely healthy, or throwing a lot of re-reads due to errors?

See, there's way to many variables here to give you a straight answer.

Eric0
Feb 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
The external is a clone of the internal one. So everything is the same at least in theory. Internal drive has 15GB free out of 75 GB.

Probably a little more full than it should be but with boot camp and all thats about as low as I can go.

Pat McCrotch
Feb 11th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Same for me. My computer ran better off of my LaCie Prosche external than it ever did on my internal harddrives, of which 2 have just quit working (thanks applecare).

chas_m
Feb 11th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Well, one POSSIBLE explanation is that the clone is defragmented whereas your internal drive isn't. I doubt that's the whole story, but it could be a factor.

Eric0
Feb 11th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Same for me. My computer ran better off of my LaCie Prosche external than it ever did on my internal harddrives, of which 2 have just quit working (thanks applecare).

^I am running the same Lacie Porsche drives.

Its all very strange. I ran iDefrag and had less than 0.5% fragmentation on the internal.

Anyways now I've cloned the external back to my MBP. We'll see if that makes a difference. Hopefully it will.