Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

USB drives won't mount on boot

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  screature 
#1 ·
Hi all - long time PC user turned bi-technical. Aside from obvious tansitional frustrations like trying to figure out how to scale windows easily etc. My biggest recent frustration involves my USB drives not mounting when I boot.

If I boot then power down or disconnect the drives and reconnect or turn them on they mount fine.

Pain but not too catastrophic. Any help greatly appreciated!

Kyle

#4 ·
How do you unmount the drives? The normal Mac method is to drag the drive icon onto the trash icon. Not doing this may make the next mount difficult and can eventually screw-up the directory or even the partition mapping of the USB drive.

Also check your Finder Preferences (In the Finder go to: Finder Menu>Preferences, may be different in Leopard) and make sure the box to Show Hard Disks is checked.

#5 ·
Furhter Clarifications

I'm running a 24" iMac with Leopard and all current fixes etc. I typically eject the disks but this is not always the case. The machine is set up to show the drives. If I turn them off or dissconect the USB and then turn them on or reconnect he cables they show up right away as they are supposed to. I am running Bootcamp and did have Parallels installed earlier but removed it when I added Bootcamp.

Hope that helps!

K

#6 ·
I'm running a 24" iMac with Leopard and all current fixes etc. I typically eject the disks but this is not always the case. The machine is set up to show the drives. If I turn them off or dissconect the USB and then turn them on or reconnect he cables they show up right away as they are supposed to. I am running Bootcamp and did have Parallels installed earlier but removed it when I added Bootcamp.

Hope that helps!

K
Are your drives ported directly to the Mac or do you use a USB hub?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.