: How much is too much to pay for an iphone?

smellybook
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I was just wondering what I should be paying.

Is $500 for an unlocked 4 gb too much?

Thanks,

HowEver
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Why not drive or bus to the US (since you're in Toronto) and buy a new iPhone for $399 plus US and Canadian taxes?

smellybook
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Why not drive or bus to the US (since you're in Toronto) and buy a new iPhone for $399 plus US and Canadian taxes?

and can't be activated properly.

I'm so gullible,,,,he was just trying to sell me a 4gb iphone for $500 then?

OMG,

Visnaut
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Weigh your pros and cons.

If you drive or bus/train it down to the states, you're going to spend at least $500 after transportation, taxes, and customs. Not to mention you'll have to spend another $80 for a StealthSIM if you want to unlock the current firmware version on sale.

For the same price, and much less hassle, you can get a lower capacity phone which is easily unlockable by you (depending on your level of comfort in just following simple instructions posted online) right up to 1.1.2.

It's overpriced if you're looking at just specs, but considering the legwork you have to do otherwise, it may be worth it to you.

If neither option seems palatable, then just wait. Personally, in your position, I'd do just that.

HowEver
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM

OMG,

You should be able to get an 8GB iPhone locally for around that, unlocked might cost a bit more.

silentsim
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:39 AM

OMG,
Nah he's not lieing to you...
but..

they can be activated..but not UNLOCKED.(unless you buy an external hardware solution like TurboSim(around 100$)).
if the phone is in great condition, its not a terrible deal @ 500 imo.

5andman
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'll be in the states end of the month. Pick up the phone.
Than do the rest in Canada.

Visnaut
Jan 9th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Nah he's not lieing to you...
but..

they can be activated..but not UNLOCKED.(unless you buy an external hardware solution like TurboSim(around 100$)).

That's not the case if you're referring to the 4GB model that was offered to the original poster. Those were only ever sold with 1.0.2, and thus are easily unlockable through software patches.

Loafer
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:03 PM
quick question.....anyone know if it's possible to get an unlocked European iPhone that will work over here.....I'm thinking of getting my folks to pick one up for me

John Clay
Jan 9th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't pay a dollar more than retail for an iPhone plus the appropriate unlocking device, be it software (then an older gen unit, plus maybe $100) or a hardware device (again, around $100). Boils down to no more than $520-$550 for a brand new 8GB unit, unlocked.

Flipstar
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:07 PM
quick question.....anyone know if it's possible to get an unlocked European iPhone that will work over here.....I'm thinking of getting my folks to pick one up for me

No they're country-code locked.

Visnaut
Jan 9th, 2008, 04:02 PM
No they're country-code locked.

Not true. Those allegations were incorrectly reported.

Officially unlocked iPhones accept any foreign SIM, but the Phone and SMS applications crash if the SIM's country code does not match the short list of countries that the iPhone recognizes for area code purposes.

This can be easily remedied by installing the iWorld patch through Installer which will replace one of the country entries with your country code, but this would not be necessary if your only intent was to use the phone here in Canada.

More on this here:
iPhone Atlas - iPhone guides, help, applications, news and more, updated daily. (http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/12/18/french-unlocked-iphones-crippled-cont/)

Corvillus
Jan 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I would say that $500 for an unlocked 4GB iPhone is a bit high. That's $200 above retail (Apple sells 4GB refurbs as they come in for $300 on their site). You can likely find unlocked 8GB iPhones for between $500 and $600 if you look, so that's the route I'd go instead. If you can't, as was mentioned before, the best bet is to go to the US and buy one from an AT&T or Apple store yourself then either buy a SIM proxy to bypass the lock or wait for the 1.1.3 release (which will likely be out around MacWorld), as there is a software unlock for 1.1.2 being worked that uses the secpack from it (also, DON'T upgrade to 1.1.3 when it comes out, or you're SOL for this solution).

In any case, paying $200 over is a bit too much for an unlocked iPhone.

ericlewis91
Jan 10th, 2008, 11:19 AM
i just sold my 8gb unlocked
for 600 (bought it for 425 when my rents were in florida for a month)

teknikz
Jan 15th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I have an iPhone 8GB with 1.1.1 unlocked
It has a small(less then 1cm) "crack" in the corner nearest the home button , screen is fine and it comes with a case , extended applecare ( no box) , all original accessories and box and an extra skin.

What do you think would be a fair price? I can post pictures if anyone needs to see the crack before they can post a crack.