: SSH Switch?

EtLesMontagnes
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM
Today my brother's friend helped me unlock my iPhone with a turbo sim. I had been using it as an iTouch before (so I already activated/jailbreaked it), and the only thing that installed itself to the phone was the installer app. When my brother gave me back my phone today, there is now a new icon with a picture of a switch named "SSH". I have no clue what it is, does anyone want to explain to me? Is it necessary I keep it, or is it a thing I can just remove? Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks.

minnes
Jan 2nd, 2008, 11:55 PM
SSH is an app, usually command line to log into and control a remote computer securely. It stands for secure shell

For instance, you can ssh into your web host to update a webpage and open it in a text editor on the remote computer and edit and save the document without having to download, edit, save and upload .

You can also run scripts and Apps remotely through a SSH connection
SSH is basicly a secure Telnet.
You cannot transfer files with SSH or Telnet, that is called FTP

I would think the app on an iPhone is a methhod used to log into the iPhone from a remote computer and edit lines in script or firmware.

billwong
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
(Secure SHell) A security protocol for logging onto a remote server. SSH provides an encrypted session for transferring files and executing server programs.

For instance, you can use CyberDuck on your Mac and with SSH enabled on your iPhone, you can transfer files from your Mac to the iPhone via a WiFi connection (or retrieve files from your iPhone like screen shots). Early hacks for the iPhone required some manual transfer of hacked files to the iPhone. Now one-step (or nearly one-step) programs/scripts like iNdependence and Jailbreakme do the dirty work in the background.

Keep SSH turned off for security reasons and to save on battery life. SSH will keep looking for a signal and drain your iPhone's battery.

Jeepdude
Jan 3rd, 2008, 12:55 AM
Today my brother's friend helped me unlock my iPhone with a turbo sim. I had been using it as an iTouch before (so I already activated/jailbreaked it), and the only thing that installed itself to the phone was the installer app. When my brother gave me back my phone today, there is now a new icon with a picture of a switch named "SSH". I have no clue what it is, does anyone want to explain to me? Is it necessary I keep it, or is it a thing I can just remove? Sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks.

When running jailbreak, I forgot to check the "install SSH" box, and did not install it on my iphone. It still works.

EtLesMontagnes
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:46 AM
But do I really need it?

AppleAuthority
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
You may not need it, but it could come in handy for the future. I have the same icon, and if you open it, you should be able to turn off SSH for the time being.

billwong
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:54 AM
You don't need it unless you want to add, change, or move files on the iPhone manually. I use it to move some screenshots to my computer. Occasionally to add a program without using Installer app - if it doesn't appear on the sources you have with the Installer app. For instance, you can downgrade to an older version of Customize if you have problems with the latest version.

If you don't think you will be doing any manual file exchanges, don't worry about installing it.

EtLesMontagnes
Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:43 AM
You don't need it unless you want to add, change, or move files on the iPhone manually. I use it to move some screenshots to my computer. Occasionally to add a program without using Installer app - if it doesn't appear on the sources you have with the Installer app. For instance, you can downgrade to an older version of Customize if you have problems with the latest version.

If you don't think you will be doing any manual file exchanges, don't worry about installing it

well it's already installed. I really don't believe i'll be needing to do what you've mentioned, and I want to get rid of it. Problem is I have no clue how to.

You may not need it, but it could come in handy for the future. I have the same icon, and if you open it, you should be able to turn off SSH for the time being

I've already turned it off, but do you know how to fully get rid of the icon?
I know it sounds ridiculous, but its really really bothering me.

chas_m
Jan 3rd, 2008, 06:36 AM
I've already turned it off, but do you know how to fully get rid of the icon?
I know it sounds ridiculous, but its really really bothering me.

No problem.

Run Installer.app. See that "uninstall" button up there?

http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/screenshot.png

Vexel
Jan 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
If you have the application "Customize" you could hide it from within that application. It also allows you to organize the icons on your phone the way you wish.. it's a very useful tool.

Also, if you want to use your iPod as a storage device.. SSH is a great way to do it.

You can use an FTP program that supports SFTP (I use Yummy) to securely log into your phone and copy files that way.

EtLesMontagnes
Jan 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
No problem.

Run Installer.app. See that "uninstall" button up there?

http://iphone.nullriver.com/beta/screenshot.png

that was the very first thing i tried.
SSH isn't even under uninstall