: Seattle! (iPhone?)

Sean.Perrin
Dec 22nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
Going to Seattle after Christmas and I'm seriously considering taking the plunge and buying an iPhone...

My biggest concern, however, is storage. I currently have most of my music in lossless (AIFF) and with only 8 GB of storage I can only take 8-10 albums on the road and still have room far any pics etc. Should I just wait until iPhone v2 and hope for a 32 gig model (at least?)

Also... Fido seems to be a better choice than Fido, but how have people dealt with canceling their old plans? I've been out of contrart for months waiting for the iPhone, perhaps it's just a phone call away?

Oh and one more thing... can the iPhone be converted easily to the Dvorak keyboard layout (this too could be a deal breaker....)

Thanks!

PS: What has been the best way to buy an iPhone as a Canadian... does credit work or are they still checking this?

CanadaRAM
Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:44 AM
Convert a subset of your Lossless files to a high bitrate AAC for the purpose of iPhoning. I can't really see the point of Lossless on a portable device.

Sean.Perrin
Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:49 AM
I thought about this too... I sike AIFF because I also like audio editing and such. Makes it easy to put into Peak or Digital performer without worrying about quality.

perhaps a seperate library.... seems like a pain in the ass though. Lol.

CanadaRAM
Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah, but until we have Peak IPhone Edition, you won't be doing a lot of editing on the little touch screen...

Sean.Perrin
Dec 23rd, 2007, 12:52 AM
Hahaha... good call. I'd totally use that... come on BIAS!

retrocactus
Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:52 AM
Unless you're buying your iPhone from someone personally (that has older stock), you won't be able to unlock it to use as a phone (you can activate it to use all the other features) currently. There is no software unlock for a new 1.1.2 firmware phone which is what you'll get from the Apple store.

zlinger
Dec 23rd, 2007, 04:21 AM
I wonder how much longer it will take before an unlock is available for a virgin 1.1.2 iPhone?

titans88
Dec 23rd, 2007, 09:00 AM
Unless you're buying your iPhone from someone personally (that has older stock), you won't be able to unlock it to use as a phone (you can activate it to use all the other features) currently. There is no software unlock for a new 1.1.2 firmware phone which is what you'll get from the Apple store.

He could always use a TurboSIM to unlock the phone however.

Sean.Perrin
Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
He could always use a TurboSIM to unlock the phone however.

Hmm... this is interesting. Turbosim is the ONLY option now? Are they still incredibly scarce?

MACinist
Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM
Check Ebay or the source: BLADOX - Shop (http://www.bladox.com/shop.php?lang=en)

I was lucky to get mine months back when they had stock on their website for 30 mins.

Didn't realize 1.1.2 works with T-Sim...are there confirmations online? I know it worked flawlessly with the last update, didn't even have to downgrade. Just update and Jailbreak and put T-Sim back in.

Corvillus
Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:30 PM
Hmm... this is interesting. Turbosim is the ONLY option now? Are they still incredibly scarce?

There are actually a few SIM proxy solutions available, but the TurboSIM is generally regarded as the best one due to it's programmability (meaning that when Apple breaks it thoretically you'll ne able to reprogram it when a workaround comes out). But yes, unfortunately right now SIM proxy cards are the only way to get around the SIM lock on a 4.6 bootloader iPhone. To do any kind of software unlock with what is known at the moment, you need to have a secpack from a baseband firmware higher than yours (and since the one that comes with 1.1.2 is currently the highest, that means no unlock until Apple decides they want to update the baseband firmware again). It probably goes without saying that if you are going to try to wait out a software unlock, don't ever update your phone in the meantime.

Sean.Perrin
Dec 24th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Can't I just format and then flash it with firmware 1.1.1?

I'll need a turbo SIM AND one of those Shure headphone adapters.... AHHH.... AND deal with QWERTY (although it is "hunt and peck" typing).

I might not buy one after all...

:(

Sean.Perrin
Dec 24th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Maybe I'll check if they have any Refurbs, returns or open boxes, or just ask if they carry any with 1.1.1... might get a few odd looks and be expelled from the store though.

kloan
Dec 24th, 2007, 06:48 PM
i wouldnt bother spending the money on the shure adapter when you can get one with a volume attenuator on ebay for $10 shipped...

retrocactus
Dec 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Can't I just format and then flash it with firmware 1.1.1?

Nope....you can't unlock a phone with 1.1.2 on it OOTB....formating doesn't affect the baseband which is the problem.

Sean.Perrin
Dec 26th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not heading down there in the end it turns out... oh well. This wasn't the main reason for going and it seems like it would be a lot of hassle anyways.

Oh well!

Happy Holidays!