: Permissions repair in Leopard

MacBookPro
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hello all -

Fixing permissions in Leopard 10.5.1, using Disk Utility, gives me this return every time. Anyone know what is going on here? Serious? Trivial? Thanks.
======
Verify permissions for “XXXXXX”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete
======

The Doug
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
It seems just about everyone (including myself) is getting those messages - don't worry about it. Whatever possible issues underly the messages will probably be dealt with during a future 10.5.X update. :)

lcsim
Dec 21st, 2007, 01:49 PM
Did you upgrade to 10.5.1 using Software Update? Going through Software Update has been known to cause some errors in Disk Utility's Repair Permission. In most cases the errors are harmless but can also be removed by installing the standalone 10.5.1 Upgrade from Apple's download site.

eMacMan
Dec 21st, 2007, 10:24 PM
If Panther and Tiger are any indicator expect most of these issues to be cleared up by 10.5.3 or maybe 10.5.4. Flags will probably be replaced by a notation that these items are using special permissions, blah, blah, blah.:yawn:

jlcinc
Jan 26th, 2008, 10:11 AM
I just upgraded to Leopard and did a permissions repair and of course I got the same SUID warnings but also this

"ACL found but not expected on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Sites"

What the heck is this? Anyone know?

Thanks,

John

The Doug
Jan 26th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Lookie here (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?query=customize&story=2004012310504347).

jlcinc
Jan 26th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I still don't know what it means but I copied the file from my backup which is Tiger still and it worked now all I have is the SUD file warnings. This is getting to be like working with a PC I don't understand simple things.

Thanks

John

Gamalen
Feb 1st, 2008, 03:00 PM
I was getting similar error messages as the poster Macbook Pro with all the permission errors on leopard when I run onyx and disk utility. My macbook started not to powerdown correctly and thought it had something to do with the permission errors.

I got the following permission errors:
System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired
and a different one about the graphics

I bought the newer Core 2 Duo, 2.0 Ghz, white macbook last week. Anyways, I bought a new SATA 160 Gb notebook hard drive to replace the original 80GB. I installed a fresh copy of Leopard, did a software update, ran disk utility and sure enough, i came up with the same permission errors as the original 80GB hard drive. This was a fresh copy before i loaded anything else on it.
I agree with the poster "The doug" , perhaps it has to do with Leopard itself and a future update may fix it.

monokitty
Feb 1st, 2008, 03:13 PM
Seriously - don't worry about permissions that don't repair themselves. Do you notice a problem with your Mac? If not, ignore the permission errors. If you do, ignore the permission errors regardless because the likely hood of the problem you're experiencing being related to those irreparable permissions is practically non-existent.

biovizier
Feb 1st, 2008, 09:37 PM
Seriously - don't worry about permissions that don't repair themselves.

Actually, I would disagree with that statement, or at least the wording of that statement. If a message appears saying a that SUID file has been modified and won't be repaired and that is the only message concerning that file, then I agree that it probably isn't an issue.

However, if the message is accompanied by a "permissions differ" message for the same file, then that can be an indication of a specific case of incorrect permissions that can occur on a system upgraded to 10.5 if its permissions were repaired while booted in 10.4.

This is a case of "incorrect permissions" that "repair permissions" as of 10.5.1 won't repair, can cause difficulties with some apps, and might even constitute a security issue. Specifically, if '/usr/sbin/launchd' appears among the SUID warnings, an "archive and install" is probably the best course of action.

Brainstrained
Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Apple is aware of this and its advice is don't worry.

Mac OS X 10.5: Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions reports issues with SUID files (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306925)