: Bad Pixel?

Benito
Dec 17th, 2007, 08:17 PM
I've never had a bad pixel on an LCD screen before. For the first time I'm wondering if I now have one on my MBP. In the bottom left of the screen there is a small white dot of light that changes in intensity with the screen's intensity. I suspect this is a bad pixel. Does it sound like a bad pixel to you guys? Is there anything that can be done about it? I assume that one bad pixel would not be covered under any warranty.

infinity8
Dec 17th, 2007, 08:56 PM
This is going to sound weird, if you massage the spot with a soft cloth or finger it tends to fix the problem. I had the same problem you are describing and it worked for me.

Benito
Dec 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM
It doesn't sound strange because I've already tried that. It so far hasn't worked, how long did you do it for? I've done it for a few seconds and nothing has changed. I also tried using this widget that you can place over the pixels that flashes between different colours and tries to "unlock" the pixel, the idea being that it is "stuck" on a colour in this case white? That also hasn't worked. I hate having this one pixel staring at me.

MacDoc
Dec 17th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Use a desktop that neutralizes it - white is the least offensive as windows are white.
Stuck green or red is hard to tolerate.
I doubt Apple will do anything tho stuck ON might get more action than a dead one..

infinity8
Dec 17th, 2007, 09:22 PM
It doesn't sound strange because I've already tried that. It so far hasn't worked, how long did you do it for? I've done it for a few seconds and nothing has changed. I also tried using this widget that you can place over the pixels that flashes between different colours and tries to "unlock" the pixel, the idea being that it is "stuck" on a colour in this case white? That also hasn't worked. I hate having this one pixel staring at me.

I was massaging for a few seconds. you could try running colorsync utility in your utilities I'm not sure if that would help, it's worth a try.

hbp
Dec 18th, 2007, 12:54 AM
How many bad pixels do you need for Applecare to replace?

monokitty
Dec 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
How many bad pixels do you need for Applecare to replace?

About 5-7 dead or stuck pixels, clumped together in a single area. A few dead pixels less than that number is not categorized as a significant defect warranting service. I have a dead pixel stuck in the lower right-hand corner of my 20" Samsung WS that glows a faint green 24/7, but it doesn't bother me as I'm really not that picky. ;) The hassle to have the display serviced or exchanged for a single pixel would be a huge waste of my time. (Not to the mention the time lost without a good monitor as it's being serviced.)

rhino
Dec 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM
JScreenFix - Fix stuck pixels and screen burn-in (http://www.jscreenfix.com/#JScreenFix)

Helped clear up a stuck pixel on my iMac. Kept it going overnight with no screen-savers, energy savers running.