: "Hide" is ghosted

mcoltezo
Dec 16th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Sometimes the Hide function won't respond with control keys or the mouse because it is ghosted. I just tried to Hide the browser but all I can do is minimize. Can anyone explain what's happening, please?

Thanks much!

Mississauga
Dec 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
That problem will crop up if one inadvertently selects to "Hide Others" and then attempts to hide a single application.

Orion
Dec 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
The only time I've run into what you're describing consistently is when all other applications are already hidden. As in, you're using the only visible application therefore there is nothing for the OS to change its focus to if you were to hide the app. you're using, thus it will not let you hide the app.

I think in 10.3 you could hide any application no matter what and the Finder would always auto-reveal (even without an active window) but I don't see that as of 10.4 and 10.5.

mcoltezo
Dec 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Thanks. I guess everything else was ghosted. I was wanting to look at my desktop as I have a picture there that I refer to periodically. At least I can minimize.

cheers,
m

Orion
Dec 16th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Hmm. So long as the Finder isn't hidden, even without an open window that should allow you to hide any other app.

If it's looking at the desktop itself you wish to do (and not a Finder window), press F11 and all the windows will slide away until you press it again. Alternatively, hold F11 and when you let it go the windows will return.

Of course I'm assuming you don't know this :). Apologies if you already do.