: Fair Price for an iBook

BikerRob
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Hey folks,

A friend of mine is looking for an iBook for his wife. This would be her first laptop, and she really would only be using it for email, web surfing, and playing solitaire!

They really can't afford to buy new, so I suggested a G4 iBook.

I realize I can surf the classifieds on here, but they're down right now. So, I'm curious, what's a fair price to pay for one? And, other than here, where else should I be looking for one?

I'm in Ottawa ... would the local shops sell used machines?

Rob

DDKD726
Dec 13th, 2007, 10:24 AM
try craigslist.ca, kijiji.ca, and sure, call the local Mac shops as they might have some used gear.

BikerRob
Dec 13th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks, will do that!

John Clay
Dec 13th, 2007, 11:24 AM
I would say that a used iBook G4, last revision, would not be worth more than $500 in stock configuration. If they can afford the extra few hundred dollars, I would strongly suggest a used (can be found for between $600 and $900) or refurbished MacBook (around $1000).

johnnydee
Dec 14th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Don't forget ebay and Index of /deals (http://www.lowendmac.com/deals)

John

idesign
Dec 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I have a used one I'll be looking to sell just after christmas.

Specs are :

12" screen
1.33 G4
768 Ram
60gb HD
Combo Drive
802.11 b/g/bluetooth
All install discs, powercord, & original packaging
*Brand new keyboard (1 month old), as the old one had a key that wasn't functioning properly

Everything works great and my wife hasn't had any problems with it in the 2.5 years she's had it. Battery still lasts a good 3+ hours. I'd be willing to let it go for around $425+ship. This is the last model before they released the macbooks. If you go with a macbook, stay away from the CoreDuo models, they had a ton of problems initially with those (ran hot) and you don't want to get stuck with a lemon.

I've sold maybe 20 items on here, shipped across canada with zero problems. I can supply pics if you're interested.

Craig