: Dell Deals

Eric0
Dec 12th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Logitech Z-5500's are on sale for 199 today only at Dell. Go for 350-500 at most places.

If anyone is planning on getting some for Christmas now is the time.

Adrian.
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:07 AM
This is an excellent deal...even on tigerdirect they are 300 bones. Scoop these up. Be aware these require an excellent sound card for full potential. These are not meant to be hooked up to a laptop, unless you invest in an external amp.

CanadaRAM
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:39 AM
This is an excellent deal...even on tigerdirect they are 300 bones. Scoop these up. Be aware these require an excellent sound card for full potential. These are not meant to be hooked up to a laptop, unless you invest in an external amp.

They are powered speakers, they don't require an amp. Perhaps you meant an external audio interface.

But -- the Z5500s have an optical input and a digital decoder... so you can run digital audio out from newer Macs including notebooks, direct to the speakers, so a 'sound card' does not enter the equation at all - the speakers do the DA conversion and surround decoding. Keep in mind that if you run optical digital out, then you lose the ability to control volume through the Mac software, you have to use the controls on the speakers.

Digital out or an external USB or Firewire 5.1 interface is the only way to get 5.1 surround from a Mac.

Adrian.
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I always thought notebooks didn't support 5.1 unless through firewire or USB. But does that not require something like Firewave to work? So you could purchase these and connect that right to the usb or firewire and get full 5.1?

Eric0
Dec 13th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Your right notebooks won't support 5.1 natively. However, the speakers themselves are excellent at simulating it. I've found this to be true even on the cheaper z-5300's hooked up with a 3.5mm instead of the optical cable.

milhaus
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Your right notebooks won't support 5.1 natively. However, the speakers themselves are excellent at simulating it. I've found this to be true even on the cheaper z-5300's hooked up with a 3.5mm instead of the optical cable.

See Canada Ram's response above. 5,1 on a notebook via Optical out is possible, but you need the proper adapter (3.5mm to optical).

hayesk
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:32 PM

That's not quite true. Apple's DVD player doesn't support 5.1. I believe VLC will output 5.1 through the optical out on the MacBooks.

Eric0
Dec 13th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Hmm you might be right. I use VLC exclusively (won't go into depth there) so I can't speak to Apple DVD. I know iTunes works great through 5.1 though.

Kosh
Dec 13th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Alot of misinfo up there. (Where's Macdoc when you need him?)

Apple's MacBook Pro supports Optical Audio Out of the same port as the Headphone jack and optical audio in through the line-in.

Apple DVD player supports surround sound 5.1 through optical audio out.

And the Z-5500 speakers as mentioned do include an amp and are great for a multimedia computer setup. The tank in UT2004 just rumbles through the den.

Edit I see at least CanadaRAM was correct... then it went downhill...