: MacBook to avoid?

Niagaramark
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:37 PM
There have been some great deals on refurb MacBooks at apple.ca lately. I'm tempted to pick up a MacBook for less than $1,000. I know there are likely new systems coming in Jan, but the option to replace my old P3 HP Pavillion with a new(er) MacBook is tempting (looking to run Leopard, Abobe CS3 Apps etc.). Are there any concerns/issues with current MB that I should consider? Any models to avoid?

Thanks

monokitty
Dec 12th, 2007, 03:55 PM
All the models are the same, save for faster processors and the like between the 3 available options. No real issues to note on this generation of MacBook's. However, buy AppleCare for your purchase before the one-year mark. Bad things can happen to good people. :)

hayesk
Dec 12th, 2007, 04:25 PM
There have been some great deals on refurb MacBooks at apple.ca lately. I'm tempted to pick up a MacBook for less than $1,000. I know there are likely new systems coming in Jan, but the option to replace my old P3 HP Pavillion with a new(er) MacBook is tempting (looking to run Leopard, Abobe CS3 Apps etc.). Are there any concerns/issues with current MB that I should consider? Any models to avoid?

I just bought one. The MacBook has just been revved, so I doubt your see a new one in January.

zmttoxics
Dec 12th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I bought mine a month before the new version. 2.16 ghrz versus the 2.2 in the new one. Big whoop. Also, apparently the x3100 in the new macs suck balls. I can say for sure they suck ass on the new Dell laptops, work just 32 of them, cant stand it.

Avoid the 2.0 for sure though. You'll want these things: most hd space, most ram, and apple care. Macbooks tend to have their own issues, but alot of it is covered under applecare.

G-Mo
Dec 12th, 2007, 04:51 PM
The new 2.0/2.2 MacBooks are 0.2 pounds (that's 0.09 kg) lighter!!! Beware of serious back strain with the older models!!

Seriously, I just got a used 2.16 and it's great!

;)

Vexel
Dec 12th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Also, apparently the x3100 in the new macs suck balls.

Could you provide some more info on that statement? :)

zmttoxics
Dec 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Could you provide some more info on that statement? :)

I don't have the links off hand, but they were supposed to replace the i950 and be able to play real games. Ended up they had problems rendering 3d, required new drivers for both win and mac, and they still sucked.

At anyrate, because they both suck, no point in striving to get a new 2.2. A used 2.16 will work just as well.

fyrefly
Dec 12th, 2007, 07:53 PM
They're integrated graphics. They aren't meant to be anything but a cheap-o alternative to a real graphics card foisted on the industry by Intel's clout.

x3100 is BETTER than a GMA950, but still nowhere near equal to a real graphics card. Did you really expect anything different? :D

dcorban
Dec 13th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I admit I haven't tried many games, but World of Warcraft runs fine at medium levels. The new graphics chipset also (finally) has support for hardware transform & lighting, which was introduced with the Geforce 1 almost 10 years ago. This alone is a huge jump in quality, as there are many games which require this.

Adrian.
Dec 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
does anyone know if apple has any plans at all to put a real independent graphics card in the macbook anytime soon? It is an extremely powerful computer, minus the lack of a card.

G-Mo
Dec 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
does anyone know if apple has any plans at all to put a real independent graphics card in the macbook anytime soon? It is an extremely powerful computer, minus the lack of a card.

They did - it's called the MacBook Pro...

The MacBook Pro from early 2006 to mid 2007 shipped with an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB or 256MB RAM; in mid 2007 they switched to the nVidia Geforce 8600M GT with 128MB or 256MB RAM.

The onboard graphics with shared memory is one of the things that helps keep the price down on the MacBook.

zmttoxics
Dec 13th, 2007, 12:36 PM
In terms of games, i have quake 1-3, warcraft 3 (and frozen thrown), and world of warcraft (trial, i hate it) working on my macbook. All are running at full resolution and are 100% playable, i950.

But real games starting with the doom 3 era, good luck! :D

Kestral
Dec 13th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I had a 2.0 ghz Blackbook and upgraded to a 2.2 ghz Blackbook. Side by side, the colors and viewing angle on the 2.2 ghz Blackbook was superior imo.

zlinger
Dec 13th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Aluminum Black Book anyone? When will we move away from the use of plastic... It looks all nice and shiny out of the box.. but in time fingerprints, scratches, even normal wear is so noticeable.